Uncut pair of tintype images

In Photographs > Tintypes > Show & Tell.
Tintypes38 of 125Antique Tintype of Man Holding SomethingGrandpa Carl, baby, child, and young man

valentino97valentino97 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
rniedermanrniederman loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 8 months ago

scottvez

This interesting pair of images dates from the 1870s.

Condition is rough as this was kept loose for the last 100+ years, so it has some dings, rusting and general surface damage. Despite all of that, I was happy to acquire this example.

I already have several duplicate tintypes that were cut-- this is my first uncut example.

Reproduction of these images is prohibited.

scott

Comments

1. scottvez scottvez, 8 months ago
    Thanks for looking vetraio and moonstone!

scott
  2. rniederman rniederman, 8 months ago
    Scott ... size of the entire plate?
  3. scottvez scottvez, 8 months ago
    Just checked rob. It is a little larger than I originally thought-- it is 5" X 3 1/2".

scott
  4. scottvez scottvez, 8 months ago
    Thanks official and bratjdd.

scott
  5. rniederman rniederman, 8 months ago
    I've been thinking about this tintype for a while. On one hand, the point of view between the two images is slightly different suggesting a multi-lens camera. On the other hand, the very thin separation of the images suggests a repeating back. But if a repeating back was used, the poses would be slightly different. Maybe the photographer was really fast. The thing I cannot quite get a handle on is if this is actually a part of a larger 2-up or 4-up tin plate. The image appears to go to the edge, which would rule out a 2-up set of images on a 5x7 plate because the holder would leave unexposed areas. Or maybe I cannot see it ... Scott ... are there unexposed edges? That leaves the possibility of a 2-up on a 1/2-plate fitted in a whole plate camera. (1/2-plate cameras are rare and I've yet to see a stereo version.) But if a whole-plate camera was used, the most economical approach would be to create a 4-up plate. All of this is interesting, but I cannot explain the thin separation of the images. Multi-lens cameras' septum would leave a big separation. Anyhow, that's the ramblings of a camera guy. Anyhow, good post.
  6. rniederman rniederman, 8 months ago
    Sorry ... can't do 4-up on a whole-plate ... even confused myself on this one. - Rob
  7. scottvez scottvez, 8 months ago
    Interesting thoughts rob.

I am not that good on the camera side-- hoped you would tell me what/ how it was done!

scott
  8. scottvez scottvez, 7 months ago
    Thanks amber-- this is one of two uncut images that I bought of the same group of folks.

I'll try and post the other at some point.

scott
  9. scottvez scottvez, 7 months ago

I'll try and post the other at some point.

scott