Posted 5 years ago
This is a souvenir program from the Civic Music Associations Eighth Annual Conference organized and promoted by Civic Concert Service, Inc. and held January 8, 9, & 10, 1931 at the Palmer House, Chicago, Illinois.
- includes 28 pages and is gold-string bound in cloth-covered board
** The Palmer House Hotel is a famous and historic hotel in Chicago. Three Palmer House hotels have been located at the corner of State and Monroe streets in Chicago. The first (known as "The Palmer") was built as a wedding present from Potter Palmer to his bride Bertha Honoré. It opened on September 26, 1871, but burned down just 13 days later on October 9, 1871 in the Great Chicago Fire. The second Palmer House Hotel was seven stories and was completed in 1875. Its amenities included oversized rooms, luxurious decor, and sumptuous meals served in grand style. The floor of its barber shop was reputedly tiled with silver dollars. By the 1920s, the business in downtown Chicago could support a much larger facility, and the Palmer Estate decided to erect a new 25-story hotel. Between 1923 and 1925, the hotel was rebuilt on the same site; in stages so that not a single day of business was lost. At the time, it was touted as the largest hotel in the world. In 1945, Conrad Hilton bought the Palmer House for $20 million and it was thereafter known as The Palmer House Hilton. The hotel has recently had its name adjusted to Palmer House - A Hilton Hotel. -- The chocolate brownie was invented by a chef at Chicago's Palmer House Hotel after Bertha Palmer requested a dessert for ladies attending the fair; it should be, she said, smaller than a piece of cake, though still retaining cake-like characteristics and easily eaten from boxed lunches. These first brownies featured an apricot glaze and walnuts, and they are still being made at the hotel according to the original recipe.