Very Rare Antique Hand-Painted Dog Plate Royal Doulton/Burslem By Henry Mitchell

In China and Dinnerware > Royal Doulton > Show & Tell and Animals > Dogs > Show & Tell.
Royal Doulton31 of 101Antique Royal Doulton VaseVery Rare Royal Doulton Burslem Antique Hand-Painted Dog Plate By Henry Mitchell

VividVivid loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
n2bmn123n2bmn123 loves this.
antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
VladimirVladimir loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
robin56robin56 loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.

vintagelamp

Antique Hand-Painted Dog Plate
Royal Doulton/Burslem
By Henry Mitchell
Gold-gilded rim
A great plate that matches previously posted plate

Comments

1. solver solver, 3 years ago
    Hi, VT, your Doulton cabinet plates are exquisite and difficult to find. You have such an eclectic, beautiful collection.

Since I do this all the time, I am sure that you were thinking one thing, but typed another. The artist is "Henry" Mitchell, not "George." However, I can't see the signature on your photos under the dogs to confirm this. Henry Mitchell's dogs were in the manner of, and after, Sir Edwin Landseer's paintings.

"Mitchell Henry
    1893–1908 [service at Doulton]
    A gifted painter of animals, Mitchell established his reputation at Mintons and other companies before joining Doulton. He also specialised in landscapes and hunting scenes."
    Courtesy of Pottery Histories "Doulton (Burslem) Artists"

"Henry T Mitchell, born in Burslem, Staffordshire, joined Minton c.1860, and exhibited at International Exhibitions in the latter half of the 19th Century, gaining medals at Paris (1867) and Vienna (1873). He joined Doulton c.1893 and became widely known as an exceptional painter of animals and landscapes."
    Courtesy of Bonhams: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15970/lot/77/

"Henry Mitchell specialised in faithful copies of Landseer subjects. This particular plate is after Landseer's painting 'Laying down the Law', now in the Sculpture Gallery at Chatsworth. Queen Victoria is known to have purchased sets from Minton with Mitchell's Landseer subjects for use at Balmoral and Sandringham. The initials LMC in the cartouche may indicate that this plate was part of a royal commission, made for the marriage of Queen Victoria's son Prince Arthur of Connaught to Princess Louise Margaret of Connaught on 13 March 1879."
    Couresty of Bonhams: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16898/lot/281/

2. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 3 years ago
    Solver, Many many many thanks for all of your wonderful help and information! I really do appreciate everything that you have done to help me on numerous occasions. I do make the "Mitchell" mistake all of the time. I was also doing this in a hurry this AM. Thank you for the correction and the wonderful links!!!
  3. solver solver, 3 years ago
    The pleasure was all mine, VT, since I got to see your gorgeous plates with such exceptional dogs.
  4. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 3 years ago
    solver, H. Mitchell signature is on these plates but difficult to spot initially
  5. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 3 years ago
    solver, Your comments mean a lot to me, for I suspect that you are truly knowledgeable and have the expertise that I lack. I just know when I like something!
  6. antiquerose antiquerose, 3 years ago
    Stunnnnnnnnnnnning !!!!!
  7. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 3 years ago
    Thanks antiquerose!
  8. n2bmn123 n2bmn123, 3 years ago
    VERY GOOD LOOKING PLATE....
  9. vintagelamp vintagelamp, 3 years ago
    n2bmn123, Thank you, sir!