Vietnam war ad ??

In Military and Wartime > Vietnam War > Show & Tell and Posters and Prints > Military Posters > Show & Tell.
Vietnam War31 of 129Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 auto pistolSuh Kwang Velvet Painting

EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.
GeodeJemGeodeJem likes this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

OddandOldT…

Bought this a few years back on a whim. Knew nothing about it. It's double sided and very heavy metal. If anyone knows exactly or something about it that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

1. OddandOldTradeCo. OddandOldTradeCo., 2 years ago
    It's about 38" tall and 25" wide
  2. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 2 years ago
    What is interesting to you about this item, AM?
  3. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    In 1971 we still had the draft you had to go if your number came up ? Makes no sense they were recruiting ? The draft ended in 1973 when you could choose to sign up . All guys at age 18 got a draft card till then . I wonder if this is a fantasy poster never used or authorized by US Gov /military .
  4. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Army wants to join you ? odd indeed
  5. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  6. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  7. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  8. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    They are saying they want to join you in being successful :-)
  9. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    The last link tells all about it . He was just one of the many young men's faces used , and the Army said it could help you get a training for future if you signed up . Nice post
  10. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 2 years ago
    Aunt Molly, I thought it might be because you are black.
  11. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 2 years ago
    Oh really? Asian, then?
  12. OddandOldTradeCo. OddandOldTradeCo., 2 years ago
    Thanks for all the info and slightly entertaining banter....
  13. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 2 years ago
    Even during the draft the Army continued recruiting efforts, and had a lot of success recruiting from African American Community. Even today the percentage of blacks in the military is disproportionately high compared to the US population.
  14. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 2 years ago
    Here's another link for the poster:

Poster ID: CL15700
    Original Title: Today's Army Wants to Join You (Heavy Metal Sign )
    Year of Poster: 1970s
    Category: Political/Other
    Country of Poster: American
    Size: 39 x 25 inches = 99 x 64 cm
    Condition: Good
    Available: No
    Notes: Printed on both sides.
  15. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 2 years ago
    What's wrong with you?

I signed up to to join the USAF during that war....in 1974. I was well aware of Ali's protest against the war. I was in high school at that time.
    What does that have to do with anything? Many people of many races protested!

No, his career did NOT end....

Wikipedia:

"Ali, originally known as Cassius Clay, began training at 12 years old and at the age of 22 won the world heavyweight championship in 1964 from Sonny Liston in a stunning upset. Shortly after that bout, Ali joined the Nation of Islam and changed his name. He converted to Sunni Islam in 1975, and 30 years later began adhering to Sufism.

In 1967, three years after winning the heavyweight title, Ali refused to be conscripted into the U.S. military, citing his religious beliefs and opposition to American involvement in the Vietnam War. He was eventually arrested and found guilty on draft evasion charges and stripped of his boxing title. He did not fight again for nearly four years—losing a time of peak performance in an athlete's career. Ali's appeal worked its way up to the U.S. Supreme Court, where in 1971 his conviction was overturned. Ali's actions as a conscientious objector to the war made him an icon for the larger counterculture generation.[7][8]

Ali remains the only three-time lineal world heavyweight champion; he won the title in 1964, 1974, and 1978. Between February 25, 1964 and September 19, 1964 Muhammad Ali reigned as the undisputed heavyweight boxing champion."
  16. OddandOldTradeCo. OddandOldTradeCo., 2 years ago
    Shit I just joined this site and I like it a lot.. Maybe you guys should get each other's phone numbers and or addresses... My emails blowing up evertytime you post about one another... If it's unrelated to my sign and questions I posted I'd appreciate it if you kept it relevant to what I'm asking or interested in... Thanks in advance!
  17. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 2 years ago
    OddandOldTradeCo - the comments made by AM disturbed me...sorry to take over your thread.
  18. OddandOldTradeCo. OddandOldTradeCo., 2 years ago
    Katherine opinions are not directly related to my sign but a byproduct stemming from my post. Take it elsewhere... I got the info I needed so let's leave it at that! I do believe there are blogs and forums for the rest of the nonsense...
  19. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 2 years ago
    Apologies to the original poster, but I have to weigh in.

My ex-wife happens to be African American, and grew up on the South Side of Chicago. I married her while we were both in the military. She and other members of her family joined the military as a way out of their situation and a way to experience life beyond the neighborhood they grew up in. They were not tricked. They saw what was happening on TV, knew people who had been in the military, and often people who had been killed while serving. On the other hand, it was a chance to learn skills. It was a chance for an college education, a home loan, or even small business loan through the Vietnam Era G.I. Bill. It was a chance to get out and live someplace else. Regardless of why they came in, for many people, the military became their home, their career and their way of life.

In my opinion the reasons African Americans give for joining the military are not that different from anyone else. The difference is the odds are greater that they know people who had been successful in the military, and they see fewer other paths to success.

Chris