Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Platform Rocker Upholstered 1950's

In Furniture > Chairs > Show & Tell.
Chairs2327 of 2360Mission Rocking ChairVintage 1979 chairs
Love it
Like it

DorothyHDorothyH loves this. likes this.
PostRetroPostRetro loves this.
tyweego3tyweego3 loves this.
See 2 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 7 years ago


(11 items)

Purchased this at an antique shop in Costa Mesa, CA. I am not sure what they used to call them...I thought I heard poor man's something at one time. My grandfather had a chair like this. I had it reupholstered and the wood stained a dark brown...the original was a lighter wood.
Can anyone give me any information on these chairs?

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. tyweego3, 7 years ago
    The Name Is (Poor Man's Rocking Chair)
  2. Joe, 6 years ago
    Nice to know that there is a name for this type of rocker! I have a very similar chair which i "inherited" from my Grandmother. I am considering getting it re-upholstered. How much did yours cost to re-upholster?
  3. PostRetro PostRetro, 6 years ago
    I have a very similar one in good shape with older fabric, your updated fabric looks great, really makes it come alive!
  4., 6 years ago
    This rocker was called a platform rocker. You called it a poorman's rocker back then if you had anything other then a wooden rocker you where in the upper middle class of people. Most of them didn't have all the wood this one has. The wood stopped at the edge of the cushion. This one is a later model then the one we had. NICE ROCKER
  5. Lisa, 6 years ago
    I had a guy in California who reupholstered this in 2005 and it cost me around $300 or $350 (can't remember which).

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.