Share your favorites on Show & Tell

anyone know what this is?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware5163 of 6196Antique Apothecary ScaleWhat is this odd scissor like tool???
Love it
Like it

fhrjr2fhrjr2 likes this.
kerry10456kerry10456 likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(1 item)

I found this on my property in Colorado two days ago. The wind unearthed it....I have no idea what it is, it is four inches long and the top part is one inch across, the point is either damaged or used to tap something or hammer, etc and its thickness is only about 1/8 of an inch. It is hand forged as it is not evenly made, and pre industrial I am sure. Wish I knew what it was! No markings, no threading in the hole, nothing.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. lsjewels lsjewels, 5 years ago
    Do you remember coffee can keys?
    They had a band around the can. the key was attatched on top of can, you broke off key, and bent back the starting tab, slipped the keyhole through starting tab and kept turning until the band was wound off. I am not sure if this is what this key is but in the 1960's they were just small metal keys. maybe this is an earlier version.
  2. kerry10456 kerry10456, 5 years ago
    This is a concrete form pin, as you put together the sections these hold them together and slot is for a wedge.
  3. kerry10456 kerry10456, 5 years ago
    Proper name is wall ties
  4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
    Key wind cans started in 1917 but the slot was always very low on the key as opposed to at the top as pictured. It was my first impression also except for the design. This one has a rectangular slot as well as a round hole.

    I can't find it in my databases links as a wind key but it is certainly interesting.
  5. kerry10456 kerry10456, 5 years ago
    If you look around some older homes, built it the 1960's-70's. you'll see around the foundations and walls, flat bar sticking out where the forms where. These flat bars held the inner and outter forms together and these pins slide in the slots of those bars. After the concrete cures, you drive these pins back out and strip off the forms.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.