Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is it?

In Cameras > Show & Tell.
Cameras1206 of 1296Nikon F Photomic FTnOld Minolta Camera given to me by my mother.
Love it
Like it

ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 7 years ago

(1 item)

The above was with my grandfather's cameras, probably purchased around 1890's or so. The back has a sliding focusing glass / film holder about 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. Extension tube along with "camera." Anyone out there know what it is?

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. rniederman rniederman, 7 years ago
    Can you post clearer images showing some of the construction detail? Is there a lens in the tube, and if so, does it create a sharp image on the ground glass? If there is no lens, my thought is this might be a microscope camera since there doesn't appear to be focusing mechanics, etc.
  2. Adger, 7 years ago
    There is no lens. My origional thought was the same as yours, that it must be a microscope camera. I know grandfather took pictures through his microscope as I have seen them. I had donated them along with his notes years ago to Va Tech where he taught 1890-1920 appx. There are no identifying marks on the device, it's a box, the brass piece, and the sliding back. I have his R&J Beck microscope and it does fit on top. I have been told by a supposed expert that it is not a microscope camera as there is no focusing mechanism. I assumed that the focusing was done through the microscope.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.