Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Items from WWII munitions plant

In Military and Wartime > World War Two > Show & Tell and Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
World War Two760 of 14327 Middlesex Home GuardWWII British Royal Tank Corps
Love it
Like it

mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
jonimajonima loves this.
crabbykinscrabbykins loves this.
beachbombbeachbomb loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago

(1 item)

My dad's general contracting company is doing some work on an old munitions plant from WWII located near Childersburg, AL. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Army_Ammunition_Plant)

This plant produced different types of gunpowder and heavy water during the war.

He's found about 20 of these so far, thought they were interesting and wanted more information about them. They're cast iron and have a diameter of about 8 inches.

As you can tell, I don't know much, so anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks!

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    Look like handles to open a valve or chute.
  2. beachbomb beachbomb, 5 years ago
    I agree with Walksoftly, valve handles. I see blue paint on them, the color blue usually stands for a water valve, ..yellow is hydraulic..etc.
  3. jonima jonima, 5 years ago
    Awesome pieces! Love the industrial stuff.
  4. brookelizabethowell, 5 years ago
    I thought valve handle as well, but I was thinking their might be some more specific terminology for them. Searches for valve handles, valve wheels, etc. are turning up pretty broad. Thanks for the input!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.