Posted 5 years ago
Burma Shave was introduced in 1925 by the Burma-Vita company. Sales of Burma Shave were low until roadside advertising began in late 1925. At its peak, Burma Shave was the second leading shave cream. Sales dwindled in the 1950's, and in 1963 the company was sold to Plillip Morris. The roadside sign series lasted from 1925 until 1963. Typically, six consecutive small signs would be posted along the edge of highways, spaced for sequential reading for passing motorists. The last sign almost always had Burma Shave on it. The signs were two sided, so on the back of the last sign of the series would be the start of the same series, this time going in the opposite direction. By doing this there would then be two signs that had Burma Shave on them out of the six in the series.The signs were originally produced in two color combinations, the first being red and white, and the second, black and orange. The black and orange were discontinued after a few years.