Posted 2 years ago
What can we say but wow one of the most incredible pieces of Breweriana we have ever seen. This is an incredible Anheuser Busch Tavern trade sign from 1890. The sign is painted on hand planed boards that are tongue and grove joined. There are 11 boards, each one hand made to make this sign. The sign is hand painted for a beer and liquor distributor and seller in Manchester, New Hampshire.
The distributor was a liquor dealer and bottler in business in the late 1800's well into the 1900's. This sign hung outside their place of business probably until prohibition. The Joseph G. Plante & Co. switched to selling grocery items during prohibition and the sign was tucked away in the store attic. That is where it was found recently.
The logo was used by Anheuser Busch from 1890 to 1920 according to their company web site.
There are a couple of very interesting things about this sign. The name across the top "Joseph G. Plante & Co." is actually painted over another name, which means that there was another owner prior to Plante. This is an interesting fact as it means the sign is actually older than the Plante Co. We think that the sign painter signature at the bottom is the person that over-painted the original owners name.
The sign has been professionally cleaned as the years of dirt were very heavy, but not a drop of paint was added, it is in it's original condition. The cleaning has brought out the wonderful colors of the original paint and patina. This is an all original sign from 100 years ago and from one of the most famous companies in America.
The sign is 56" wide and 9' 6" tall. As we stated it is made of 11 tongue and grove boards that fit together perfectly and soundly to form the sign.