Posted 10 months ago
Here is another item from last weeks estate sale. This is a pictorial review soft cover booklet of the Army Air Forces Basic Flying School at Goodfellow Field, San Angelo, Texas.
Here is some background info:
“On 11 June 1941, the base was officially renamed Goodfellow Field.
The next four years witnessed the graduation of more than 10,000 trained pilots and the decoration of scores of these for outstanding heroism in action against Germany, Italy, and Japan. Still, the Axis collapse did not dissolve the Goodfellow mission. That was the lesson learned from that earlier day, from the peace that would not last. Goodfellow continued to train pilots into the post war era, primarily for large multiengine piston and turboprop aircraft, first on the AT-6 Texas, the T-28 Trojan and then, beginning in 1954, on the twin-engine TB-25 and B-25 Mitychell. On 3 September 1958, with nearly 20,000 aviators to its credit, Goodfellow graduated its last class of pilots, as the Air Force and Air Training Command transitioned to the new Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) construct with T-37 and T-38 Talon aircraft that required minimum 8,000 foot (2,400 m) Rinway lengths, far longer than Goodfellow's 5,500 foot (1,700 m) primary runways.”
Lots of interesting info here.