Pre 1926 "The Big New Overland" Advertisement

In Advertising > Show & Tell and Signs > Automobile Signs > Show & Tell.
Advertising1436 of 4752Vintage Copacabana MatchbookI found this

tommy1002tommy1002 loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Brennan
(1 item)

I found this while restoring a warehouse in East Vancouver. Not sure really when its from but i looked up the Overland and they started making them in 1902 and stopped in 1929, so it must be pretty old. Any help on how i should restore and clean this? Or should i even bother? It has some tar on the front and is very dirty, any help would be fantastic! Thanks

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Kerosene, diesel or turpentine on a rag will take the tar off & may actually revive the paint.
  2. Brennan, 1 year ago
    Wow thanks so much! I'll definitely give that a try
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Let the solvent dissolve the tar instead of scrubbing. Just take your time wiping.
  4. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    Is it painted or porcelain?Looks to me like it is porcelain,if so ,After you get the tar off wash with "COMET"(this is a powder)but keep it wet!!!!If it is painted I would only wash with "DAWN"dish soap.Thanks for posting!
  5. tommy1002 tommy1002, 1 year ago
    You could try "Goo Gone" on a rag, just on the tar. Then hit it with the Comet. OR just send it to me and I'll take great care of it, lol. Great sign!!!
  6. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 1 year ago
    OH NO, tommy that wouldn't go with your Coke stuff very well!!!!!!!;)
  7. Brennan, 1 year ago
    Thanks everyone! ill probably try the goo b gone for the tar and comet for all the dirt and grime haha i think ill keep this one thanks Tommy :)
  8. tommy1002 tommy1002, 1 year ago
    Well ok... but just remember scrub LIGHTLY with the Comet. You can also use ultra-fine steel wool with it. I scrubbed my Texaco sign 4 times to clean it up. It is porcelain, right? gargoyle, don't forget Coke adds life to everything, even cars, lol