Share your favorites on Show & Tell

unknown mystory tool - what is it?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Marine53's likes7 of 11GI Joe Heavy Weapons Set #7538Morrill tool?
Love it
Like it

Marine53Marine53 likes this.
packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
AzTomAzTom loves this.
See 4 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 7 years ago

    (290 items)

    I really don't know the use for this tool. I bought it at a tool auction this weekend because I love to hunt for the purpose of a weird tool.
    Here's how it works: Photo #1 shows the handle wide open by screwing in the stop on the upper end of the handle. This makes the weird protrusions on the tool to close shut as photo #2 shows.
    When the stop screw is widthdrawn, as shown in photo #3, it allows the protrusions to seperate as the handles are squeezed together. This seperation is shown in photo #4.
    The instrument is about 6" long, made out of polished steel that is nickel plated. On the inner handle is marked Pat. Jan. 30, 1923.
    Oddly enough, the protrusions look like a human tooth when closed. If I had to make a guess, I'd say it is a tool that a dentist would use to open the prongs of a partial plate that he is fitting on a patient, you know, the prongs that mount the plate to the other teeth on each end of the partial. Of course this is a wild guess, .... help me out.... let me know what you think. Thanks for watching......hotairfan

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Handle Drawer Pulls Bails Back Plates Rope Edge
    (6) VTG Antique Furniture Drop Hand...
    Vintage Kelly Registered Axe Head # 17253 True Temper Embossed
    Vintage Kelly Registered Axe Head #...
    Stanley plane No.212 Cabinet makers Scraper plane unused with Original box.
    Stanley plane No.212 Cabinet makers...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    See all


    1. AzTom AzTom, 7 years ago
      To me it looks like an expansion type tool. The screw would be to set the amount of expansion the same each time.
      What it is made to stretch, I do not know. One guess would be the end of hose.

      Love these oddball tools.
    2. hotairfan hotairfan, 7 years ago
      thanks Phil & AzTom, I need all the help that I can get on this one... hotairfan
    3. OlofZ OlofZ, 7 years ago
      Can this give any clue?

    4. hotairfan hotairfan, 7 years ago
      BINGO!! Thanks OlofZ, I think that you might have scored as to what this pliers is. The tool that you directed me to is a dental pliers fron the dental specialties Co. of Denver Co.
      After careful looking under a magnafying glass, the inside of the handle I can just make out "Dental Spec. Co. Denver USA 1923. Thanks for your help...hotairfan
    5. OlofZ OlofZ, 7 years ago
      Wow, that was a long shot but then you hinted the first clue so when that popped up I spotted it quickly! Fun. Doesn't makes me less scared of dentists though...
    6. AzTom AzTom, 7 years ago
      That was a long shot having no photo. There are about 30 different dental pliers still being used today. Most of the vintage ones look like hog ring pliers. The newer ones are great in the work shop if you bend wire for your projects.

      My first reply was made hours before a dentist appointment and I didn't want hear that kind of talk, lol.

      Glad you figured it out, cool tool.
    7. hotairfan hotairfan, 7 years ago
      thanks for all the swell responses ............hotairfan

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.