Antique Chair with Embroidered Cushions

In Furniture > Chairs > Show & Tell.
Chairs1242 of 2541unique club chairsHelp identify?

fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
Lambda55Lambda55 loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
    NULL

NicoleV
(1 item)

It 's frame is intricately carved dark wood. It sits low to the ground with a wider seat than back. Although it lacks armrests it has curved arches from the back to the seat. The embroidery is bright and the backrest depicts a dancing (?) young couple surrounded by florals set in ivory framed by burgundy. The seat cushion has only the floral pattern. We just want to know where it might be from and how old it might be.

Comments

1. NicoleV, 4 years ago
    We are interested in the possible age and origin. We would greatly appreciate any feedback!
  2. Lambda55, 4 years ago
    I can tell you it's an "Eastlake Style" chair it might help you to research that exact type. Mention the Tapestry too.
    I have a set of 4 dining chairs. w/ lift out seats. V. skirts and s shaped hind legs
    Yours is I think more of a side chair. I see a lot ! Of them here in SF. And actually found mine on the curb. ! I love them. They go so well w/ my decor. :..:
  3. scottvez scottvez, 4 years ago
    The base chair is Victorian Eastlake and dates from about 1870- 90s.

The upholstery is not typical and is most likely a later replacement.

scott
  4. jscott0363 jscott0363, 4 years ago
    That is one beautiful chair!!!!!
  5. NicoleV, 4 years ago
    Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm so glad that there are some enthusiasts out there who know their stuff! It had crossed my mind that the embroidery may have been an added-on embellishment because it is so bright (and in really good condition). I'll look up Victorian Eastlake for more info. We bought it because I thought it was pretty, but I had no idea that it might be that old. Wow!
  6. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 years ago
    I would agree very much on the age of the wood work and carving.
  7. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
    Sitting low to the ground makes me think nursing chair...