Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Dresser with Glovebox drawers

In Furniture > Dressers > Show & Tell and Furniture > Victorian Furniture > Show & Tell.
Dressers298 of 550Chest of drawersPlease help identify this chifferobe, armoire.
Love it
Like it

Lady_Sussex_DownsLady_Sussex_Downs likes this.
EZaEZa loves this.
MOPcollectorMOPcollector loves this.
CaperkidCaperkid loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
ZowieZowie loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
See 7 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 3 years ago

(4 items)

I bought this dresser at a thrift store yesterday for $60. It is in pretty good shape.

The dresser is 42" wide and a little over 17" deep.It is 43" high to the top of the "glove boxes" The knobs on the glove boxes are wood and they are fitted over what use to be keyhole locks. The draw pulls are carved wood

The style is similar to dressers I have seen listed online as Victorian or Eastlake. I have read that that was sort of like "Pottery Barn" at the turn of the century,lol.

The mirror is stamped P.P.G. Co MPLS(Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company Minneapolis) and is dated June 1930 on the back. Do you think this dresser was made in 1930 or do you think the mirror is a replacement? Thanks in advance for any help.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    The dresser certainly looks to be late 19th century, so I would suspect that the mirror was replaced at a later date.

  2. Indiglo15, 3 years ago
    Thanks for your help! What about the way the drawers are constructed? I know alot of older furniture is "tongue and groove" but these drawers have a different style joint. Sort of like a puzzle piece. Does that give any clue as to when it was made? I included a picture of the joint above.
  3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 3 years ago
    The joints are called "lock joints". That joint is used when you are joining to pieces of wood that are different dimensions. It is also called a Lock-Rabbet Drawer Joint if you care to look it up. Not as strong as dovetail but fairly sturdy. It is also called a keyhole dovetail joint. What it all boils down to is the joints were probably made after 1895.
  4. Indiglo15, 3 years ago
    Ok,thanks for the information!
  5. mrgee1959, 2 years ago
    I invite all of you to join my group on Facebook called "Antique Lovers Forum" We discuss antiques and share pictures of our treasures
  6. MyFavoriteTreasures MyFavoriteTreasures, 2 years ago
    mrgee1959, thanks; gonna do that now!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.