Authentic Zuni MOP & Sterling Ring?

In Fine Jewelry > Native American Jewelry > Show & Tell and Costume Jewelry > Costume Rings > Show & Tell.
Native American Jewelry40 of 342MYSTERY EAGLE MARK FINE LEAF REPOUSSE CHOKER NECKLACE Help! Worth fixing?

kyratangokyratango loves this.
auraaura loves this.
valentino97valentino97 loves this.
nutsabotas6nutsabotas6 loves this.
lentilka11lentilka11 loves this.
melaniejmelaniej loves this.
Hel1Hel1 loves this.
    NULL

Posted 1 year ago

antvinfan

Hi all, have had this ring for several years & was given to me by my grandmother (a lifelong collector that traveled worldwide & is part Native American), along with a box full of mostly vintage costume & some fine jewelry. From my research, this ring appears to be authentic Zuni tribal handmade by Andrew Laahte due to the inscribed initials "AL". There seems to be more inscriptions in several different areas all over the ring, but until I get a better magnifying glass or loupe I can't make them out & some seem to be in cursive writing.
Don't see markings suggesting it's real sterling silver, but does have some tarnish. Some stones are light pink & others appear more cream in color. Believe it's a size 5 & the setting measures approx 1 1/4" long, 3/4" at widest point in center & a height of 1/8". It's a beauty to see in person & quite unique looking as well!
Any advice or info about this ring being authentic or not? Thanks in advance & also any suggestions on a good, but inexpensive type of magnifier I should get?

Comments

1. MamaT MamaT, 1 year ago
    Beautiful ring!
    This link may help.... http://www.art-amerindien.com/signature_bijoux_amerindiens.htm#a

2. antvinfan antvinfan, 1 year ago
    Thanks MamaT! Will check out the link shortly :)
  3. bijoucaillouvintage bijoucaillouvintage, 1 year ago
    What a great ring! Love the design, the soft pink, beautiful.
  4. lentilka11, 1 year ago
    I like it!
  5. nutsabotas6 nutsabotas6, 1 year ago
    Gorgeous !
  6. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Very pretty - I think Zuni 1970's. I remember from working at the "Indian Jewelry" kiosk in '79 that pink MOP was very popular during that time.
  7. antvinfan antvinfan, 1 year ago
    Thanks everyone for the comments & likes! MamaT, I've looked at the different signatures to compare & no luck...I AM going to go purchase a good magnifier TODAY, lol! Have several more for sure vintage jewelry pieces that I can't make signatures out & it's just bugging the heck out of me. Some may be Bakelite, a lot of gold-toned, wooden beads, Monet, Trifari, Napier; etc!
    Valentino97, thanks for the info...so from what you can tell it does appear to be authentic Zuni from the 70's? My grandmother definitely has always had a good eye for unique & interesting finds! She now has Alzheimer's, so asking her won't help much :(