Share your favorites on Show & Tell

small angled 'reverse action' pliers

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware867 of 7182Mystery Contraption, Possibly Hand Carved by Amish FarmersFlea market find
Love it
Like it

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 1 year ago

(448 items)

Thrift shop find -- just too odd to refuse for all of two bucks. ;-)

Since then I've looked at *hundreds* of pics of all kinds of old pliers of every shape size and configuration -- coming up with a big fat ZERO. :-(

The checkout clerk thought they looked like "dentist pliers". <lol> I was guessing more like something for c-clips or snap rings, or maybe some kind of specialty application since they work 'in reverse' -- squeezing the handles together makes the jaws *open*.

I cleaned some of the rust away with a light steel-wool rubbing, which revealed a stylized "CB" logo in the center of the hinge, and numbers [?]32,950 and 756,14 near the edge of the same half of the tool. Inside the handles are small posts likely intended to hold a (missing) coiled spring which would serve to hold the jaws closed. The tool is only about 4-1/2" long.

Does anybody else know anything about them and/or what they're for?? Guesses welcomed too?!! :-)

Mystery Solved


  1. flashlarue, 1 year ago
    It does appear to be slip ring or c-ring pliers. There would have been a spring mounted on the posts on the handles.
  2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Could also be for spreading piston rings.
  3. Katsuripottery, 1 year ago
    definately look like Circlip tool
  4. Bigdaftjohn, 11 months ago
    Yeah, circlip pliers, or snap-ring pliers, for you USA guys. This type is for external circlips. The tips have been mutilated, though... They would have had more length, with cylindrical tips, sized for insertion into a particular range of sizes of circlip. The tips often break off in use, so the pliers finish up poorly re-ground, and looking like these.
  5. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 11 months ago
    THANKS SO MUCH to fortapache, Oroyoroyisthatyourhorse, and blunderbuss2 for the <loves> -- and especially to flashlarue, blunderbuss2, Katsuripottery, andBigdaftjohn for your comments and guesses!!! <applause>

    I'm gonna go ahead and mark this mystery "solved", going with the circlip/snap ring pliers. (as indeed I had suspected from the git-go) As Bdj suggests, the tips on this pair have obviously been 'reground' in a less-quality sorta 'pointed' way than the rest of the tool, so it makes perfect sense that someone kinda tried to 'fix' them after having broken the original tips off -- I am familiar with the cylindrical (and fragile!) tip shape they likely had originally, as described.

    I'm still curious what that "CB" logo might be, I don't think I've ever seen that particular trademark before...?

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.