Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Eyeglasses which fold out Goldfilled German

In Accessories > Eyeglasses > Show & Tell.
Eyeglasses51 of 76spectaclesNeed help dating an old magnifying glass
Love it
Like it

HunterHunter loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(470 items)

This eyeglass I don't know what you call it? it is very cute great patina, the glass is +3, and it is marked Gold Filled , made in Germany. Must be before WWII. Anyone know about this type, how old, what called?


  1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    They are called "lorgnettes". I have a pair myself in gold. Love the mechanism.
  2. kustomkare, 5 years ago
    What does the mechanism do?
  3. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    The left lens of the two lenses moves down and inwards back to the single position you see in the second photo. It then locks in that position. The ring at the bottom is pulled and they 'fly out' to become the 'glasses'. In the single lens position they can be used as magnifiers. The French term 'lorgner' means 'to keep an eye on, to watch intently, to ogle, to leer'. Appropriate, no?
  4. filmnet filmnet, 5 years ago
    funny the ring doesn't pull down at all. its solid
  5. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    So which part pulls the catch open?
    Do you push it instead or do you pull the rings down?
  6. filmnet filmnet, 5 years ago
    I do see a tiny clip, which hold the left ring glass close , but no pull up or down to fly out. This is from Germany
  7. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    The mechanism might need a tiny bit of oil.
  8. filmnet filmnet, 5 years ago
    Yes, I don't want to brake it.
  9. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    If unsure then you might take it to a jeweller.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.