Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is it?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware4495 of 6283"No ! Not without a washer"Another Old Trailer...
Love it
Like it

mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
scottvezscottvez likes this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(1 item)

Got this picture from a friend to try to identify. There is an inscription (names) on the "case".
Trying to identify what it is and what it is used for.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    It's called a 'Fleam'.

    The fleam is perhaps easiest-to-find bloodletting antique. These devices have one or more blades at right angles to the handle. The most common form is a brass case containing 2 or 3 steel blades, often stamped with a makers name (figure 8). The blades were usually of various sizes to offer a selection to the phlebotomist. Many of these fleams were likely used on animals but the ones with small blades no doubt were used at times on humans as well. Imagine the farming family that used their fleam for both purposes! Figure 9 shows several fleams in horn casing. Some of these came with a removable thumb lancet inserted into the horn case.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.