Posted 8 months ago
Although sales for Saturday and Sunday were about equal in quantity...60 each day, what the crowd bought varied wildly between the two days.
Here is what I gleaned about current Chicago collectors:
1) Viking and Blenko Glass are king. People came in asking and looking for it. I sold every single piece I had.
2) Enamels are hot. I have lamented how hard they are to find here and the way folk pounced on my pieces proved their rarity. No negotiations, just pay and run. Had a dealer buy all I had out, then I put out more and they went in about 10 minutes.
3) Dansk is not a seller here. Couldn't believe it. No one was even intrigued.
4) 50s barware is still huge. Especially individual fun glasses. I had a zillion and came home with one.
5) Platters did not interest people.
6) Bowls did.
7) The older folk went for the Scandinavian glass. Under 40 didn't even look.
8) Pretty little vanity porcelain odds and sods were a treat. Low cost though. Just a little something to make you feel good. I equate it to shoe shopping.