KASTANJA bowls, Kaj Franck (Nuutajarvi Notsjö, 1955)

In Art Glass > Scandinavian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Scandinavian Art Glass522 of 1037Ryd Glasbruk Jug, SwedenKaj Franck

racer4fourracer4four loves this.
cobaltcoboldcobaltcobold loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.

austrohung…

Well, these are two of the jewels in my collection: Kaj Franck's bowls in both black and white colours.

They are two of those items I wanted really badly as soon as I saw them online. The first one I got is the black one and it was a present from my best friend Quique (Spanish short form for Enrique = Henry) who's not only my best friend, but the oldest: we met at school at age 8... that means 36 years of good freindship!). He got it in a trip to Stockholm, I believe around... 2008. The white one I got from a Helsinki store last year. They are both amazing delicate items, of the kind you love to hold in your hands.

By the way, Kastanja is the Finnish word for Chestnut (in Spanish is Castaña, which sounds just like the Finnish one, only the stress is on the second A whereas in the Finnish word it's on the first one) and it really has the shape of a chestnut. They vary in size, but it's usually between 6 cm. and 7 cm. at its widest.

They are both signed underneath: K Franck Nuutajärvi Notsjö - 55

Comments

1. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 2 years ago
    You'd really should get the first prize in swift loving and commenting!!! :) Thanks so much Bellin!
  2. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 2 years ago
    Doesn't this "swift loving and commenting" sounds a bit strange? hahahahaha
  3. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Speed dating! Fabulous Kaj F.! Nothing better than seeing his signature!
  4. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 2 years ago
    Thanks bratjdd, mustangtony, miKKO and vet for your loves!!!!
  5. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
    Oysters! So nice!
  6. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 2 years ago
    Thanks for your love too, Amber!
  7. kisslikeether kisslikeether, 2 years ago
    I have 3 of these but you will find the 'Black' one isn't Black at all - hold it up to a very strong light & it will be either Blue, Red or Purple :)
  8. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 2 years ago
    That's true, kisslikeether. I always heard that red and black glass are the most expensive to make, so I guess they used the darkest ones they could find in order to make it look like they're black. Mine is in fact dark purple :)

But that's part of the magic of glass, isn't it?

Thanks for the comment!!!
  9. kisslikeether kisslikeether, 2 years ago
    2 of mine are Purple & the other is the deepest blood Red :)
  10. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 2 years ago
    That one must be wonderful!!!