Found in a box, can you help identify?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell and Kitchen > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware672 of 2625Ancient Roman Nails circa 83-87 A.D. WOW !Dont know what it is

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Posted 12 months ago

Stevo1099
(1 item)

found this in a box at a yard sale. It appears very old, Length is about 17" and widest point is 3 1'2. the blade sticks below the wood 5/8" at the edges and 1 1/4 in the middle. The blade is 7 1/2" and dull. It does not appear to have ever been sharp.There is a mark of some animal in the 3rd picture.

Thanks for your help

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 12 months ago
    When you said it was never sharpened, that blew my theories! So, I figure it must be for pressing something into seams such as caulking on boat hulls.
  2. Stillwater Stillwater, 12 months ago
    My guess is kitchen instrument. I just saw stuff like this in an issue of Antiques Magazine. I don't think its for caulking something, you wouldn't need force from both hands, would you?
  3. LOUMANAL LOUMANAL, 12 months ago
    Possibly for skinning animals....separating the fur from the flesh. I'm from Up North and natives used these and similar tools for hundreds of years. RER (LOUMANAL)
  4. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 12 months ago
    Stillwater, I can't see kitchen. With a dull blade, what could it be used for? Not mashed potatoes. For pressing tarred cord into boat seams, it would be ideal & it is obviously made for heavy use, not veggies. Boat caulking cord is started with a dull screwdriver (or such) but that can't give the smooth even pressure this would. I don't know, but can't see something that strongly made being used in the kitchen so I'm looking to other practical used.
  5. Stevo1099, 12 months ago
    Loumanal, I have also heard it could have been used for cleaning hides. Maybe that's a wolf in picture 3.

Thanks everyone
  6. Stillwater Stillwater, 12 months ago
    Ah-ha, I was right, this is an early fleshing tool for animal hides

7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 12 months ago
    Ah-ha Stillwater, Loumanal was right, probably. I trapped as a teen & this would be good on tacked-out pelts. PS: The wolf was the common marking on Solingen knives, swords etc..
  8. Stillwater Stillwater, 12 months ago
    Kitchen is closer than ship-caulker
    :P *thbbb*
  9. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 12 months ago
    Neither is close.
  10. Stillwater Stillwater, 12 months ago
    I knew it was related to food/kitchen/meat
  11. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 12 months ago
    Scraping hides is not meat. Why don't you simply give LOUMANAL the credit due to him?
  12. maryh1956 maryh1956, 12 months ago
    Looks Native American to me
  13. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 12 months ago
    Not unless from the country of India is it made by "Indians".