Share your favorites on Show & Tell


In Musical Instruments > Show & Tell and Tools and Hardware > Whistles > Show & Tell.
Musical Instruments241 of 412Player piano 1960 or 1970Vintage Thompson FLUTOPHONE Recorder -  Musical Instrument ( w/Box ) 3/of 3 types of Posts
Love it
Like it

whistlemuseumwhistlemuseum loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
surfdub66surfdub66 loves this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 4 years ago

(2 items)

Purchase at auction is a "J W Pepper & Sons " Maker's Philada, pa. ( as marked on top). Somewhat of a high pitch whistle. Stands 2 5/8 inches tall and the diameter is about an inch. JW Pepper made instruments and carried sheet music and that's the extent of what I know. The high pitch sound is like a train or naval ship.. Seems to be chrome . Thanx for looking... jim

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. surfdub66 surfdub66, 4 years ago
    Cool !! ;-)
  2. willy-bear willy-bear, 4 years ago
    Does anyone really know the intended purpose of this item and what it was really used for ??
  3. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 4 years ago
    A water filled bird warbler.

    T A
  4. whistlegallery whistlegallery, 10 months ago
    drummers trap whistle
  5. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 10 months ago
    TubeAmp is correct. Filling the small 'canister' part half full of water then blowing lightly into the small angled tube will produce a 'bird warble' sound.

    Similar items were (are?) made by various manufacturers, in slightly differing shapes and sizes. They can be found in use in symphony orchestra (etc) percussion sections, and were also commonly provided as an accessory on old theatre pipe organs used to accompany silent films in the 1900's-1930's.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.