Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Unknown Tool ... Best guess a marking tool

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware5578 of 9289raisin seeder - 1891Some of my old tool boxes being painted
Love it
Like it

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
See 3 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 6 years ago

    (1 item)

    I purchased this from a vintage store last weekend and am really curious what it is. I posted on Reddit ( and have been given some good ideas, such as posting here. (Very cool site, btw. If anything I'm glad this mystery lead me here.)

    If anyone has any ideas, I would love the help.

    Thank you

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus Dionysus Greek God Of Wine Face Door Knocker
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus...
    1 Pair of RESTORED Antique Glass Door Knobs + Ready to Install - Many Available!
    1 Pair of RESTORED Antique Glass Do...
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furniture Latch Victorian Eastlake Cabinet Latch
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furnitu...
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus Dionysus Greek God Of Wine Face Door Knocker
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus...
    See all


    1. Rustfarm Rustfarm, 6 years ago
      Possibly an old striping tool.
    2. Roycroftbooksfromme1, 6 years ago
      if the tube is hallow .. some kind of a torch with its own flint striker wheel...?
    3. Roycroftbooksfromme1, 6 years ago
      something they would use in a lab....?? to heat with ...
    4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 6 years ago
      Certainly looks like a spark flint torch from what little you can see.
    5. michalsen, 6 years ago
      My first thought was a lighter, but the more you hold and play with it, the less so it becomes. I will see if I can detail the best I can:

      The item fits comfortably in hand, the larger of the wheels easily turns with the thumb, and presses down into a vacant space via spring steel. Moving the thumb back and forth you get the idea that something slide in and out. The side thumb screw turns in freely to lock whatever you are sliding in and out. At the end there internal threading, and item is missing at least this piece, if not more.

      This is my working assumption:

      It is a marking device used in heavy industry where the wearing of gloves is required, hence the deep grooved fluting on the sides. What slides in and out is beyound me...lead, silver tip...?

      Here are more pictures

      Thank you all.
    6. Roycroftbooksfromme1, 6 years ago
      looks like a torch to me maybe for heating and bending glass for a neon signs ...?? my best guess ...but hang in there there's more folks to chime in forsure
    7. just_a_random_guy, 6 years ago
      I think that a rod or wire of some sort is pulled up through the tube as the wheel is spun. The side knob looks like it would lock down the material so that it doesn't slide back out when not in use.

    8. frisco frisco, 6 years ago
      I agree with j_a_r_g, in that it is most likely for holding, and feeding of silver, gold, or other solder wire, with the thumb wheel. I did not find your exact tool, but found a similar designed tool, below. IMO,-28_dash_Ga/710678

    9. michalsen, 6 years ago
      Wow! That is the closest item I have seen!
    10. just_a_random_guy, 6 years ago

      I've done a _lot_ of soldering..

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.