Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Tiffany and Co. ??????????? Help what is this?

In Fine Jewelry > Tiffany Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Recent activity169346 of 180610Bad Monday saved by the pickin Gods! LOLRene Lalique - Raisons (RAISINS) Vase  CIRCA 1930
Love it
Like it

officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 6 years ago


(15 items)

My father-in-law has a complete tote of costume jewelry, as we were looking over all of it I ran across this piece. It is marked Tiffany and Co. I would like to know what it is.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. Pop_abides Pop_abides, 6 years ago
    My sisters used to use these, when you drape a sweater on your shoulders this was used to keep it in place, clip one to the button side of the sweater and the other to the button hole was just a style thing.........this will go back to the60's at least
  2. cindy, 6 years ago
    I believe it's called a chatelain (sp?) I can remember my aunt holding her sweater on with one of these as it was draped over her shoulders as Pop_abides said.
  3. havenrain havenrain, 6 years ago
    Thanks so much pop_abides and Cindy. I figured it was some kind of a clip/clasp, but I thought maybe it was for a man's vest.
  4. havenrain havenrain, 6 years ago
    Thank you AR8Jason.
  5. cindyjune cindyjune, 6 years ago
    oops! Chatelaine goes around the waist! Thanks for the reminder!
  6. Agram.m Agram.m, 6 years ago
    Chatelaines are from the 19th century or earlier. It comes from the French word: Chateau which means castle. These ladies of the house (castle) had a chatelaine in order to can take what they need in there households (see the answers of several writers above).
  7. havenrain havenrain, 6 years ago
    Thank you Agram.m I love hearing from all of you. I have googled this piece (sweater clasp/clip) but still can't find one like it. My Mother said she remembers school teachers and such wearing them.
  8. vetraio50 vetraio50, 6 years ago
    It could be a 'napkin clip'.
    One end holds the napkin and the other is put on the tie.
  9. havenrain havenrain, 6 years ago
    Thanks BELLIN68!!

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.