Victorian rainbow cut glass epergne trumpets

In Art Glass > British Art Glass > Show & Tell.
British Art Glass61 of 680Victorian blue cased glass thorn vaseTHOMAS WEBB & SONS 3 COLOR CAMEO VASE CIRCA 1896

VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
VikingGirlVikingGirl loves this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.
AdeleCAdeleC loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.
auraaura loves this.
EZaEZa loves this.
MrstyndallMrstyndall loves this.
sklo42sklo42 loves this.

Posted 8 months ago

IronLace

This pair of Victorian art glass epergne trumpets are made from cut crystal with rainbow stripes. They measure 13.8 cm long, 4.3 cm across the top rim, & 1 cm across the pegged base. English origin - most likely Stourbridge, & perhaps by Stevens & Williams or Webb.
Cut glass is not represented in my collection, as I prefer blown items, but I made an exception for these because of the rainbow stripes. I will be setting them into a silverplate stand - will get a photo posted of them when its done.

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 8 months ago
    Are they stained or is the colour within the glass ??? Extraordinary !!!
  2. IronLace IronLace, 8 months ago
    Hi vetraio50, the colour is definitely within the glass. Its extremely rare.
  3. racer4four racer4four, 8 months ago
    How rare is cut rainbow glass? I would imagine there would be difficulty cutting the glass due to changes in hardness and brittle ness as the colour changed.
    The result is extraordinarily beautiful.
  4. IronLace IronLace, 8 months ago
    Many thanks, czechglass5! That's really nice of you to say so...I have a both taste for the unusual & a particular aesthetic vision for my collection...it's great to find items that fit both categories like these do.
  5. IronLace IronLace, 8 months ago
    Thanks also, racer4four, yes, I would imagine this type of item had a high degree of difficulty...to me, they represent a high point in Victorian glassmaking.
  6. Vroom, 4 months ago
    Beautiful example and I'm so thankful you posted this. I have an identical piece although it is a vase. I've been trying to identify for many years and yours is the closest I've come to finding a match. I believe it is English as well but I am having a difficult time determining a value because it is so rare. Have you determined any kind of value on this? I'm curious.
  7. IronLace IronLace, 2 months ago
    Many thanks, Vroom. Would be most interested to see your vase, it sounds wonderful. As to value, it is very hard to say...I was extremely fortunate to obtain these for a modest sum on eBay. I was amazed that they passed by unnoticed - thought I'd be outbid, but I was the only bidder.