Share your favorites on Show & Tell

What is this Vintage Cast Iron Tool? Is it for logging?

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware3758 of 9654Axe head Mystery Beam - mid-late 1700's
Love it
Like it

fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 5 years ago

    (1 item)

    This tool is cast iron & heavy duty with two swing arms with two curved hooks on each one, it appears to have a place for a pole type handle with an inner diameter of 2 1/2" and it looks like it can accept about 6" of handle. The unit is 18" long and about 12" wide. It weighs 16 pounds and has 3 large 1" square nuts at the 3 swivel points, I think it has "A33" on the side of it. Do you know what this is?

    Mystery Solved
    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    1x Vintage Octopus Door Knobs Handles
    1x Vintage Octopus Door Knobs Handl...
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus Dionysus Greek God Of Wine Face Door Knocker
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus...
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furniture Latch Victorian Eastlake Cabinet Latch
    Brass Cabinet Latch Antique Furnitu...
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. Arthur-Main, 5 years ago
      Thank you in advance for your help!
    2. Arthur-Main, 5 years ago
      Thomas, thank you, I think so as well, but I am looking for the name of the tool!
    3. Arthur-Main, 5 years ago
      I think it is for logging as well but I am not able to locate a picture of it looking in the areas you mention. Thank you again for the help.
    4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      It is an old peavey to roll logs as cutting or moving them. Would have a wooden handle for leverage. Use it in the woods, at the saw mill, any place you had to move logs.
    5. Arthur-Main, 5 years ago
      Thank you fhrjr2, I was thinking it might be a Peavey but when you search on vintage/antique Peavey's you cannot find one even remotely close to this one. The Peavey's all have a sharp end to them that digs into the logs.
    6. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      Those are modern peavey's. There is another just like yours that attaches to a three point hitch with a chain and cable to grab a log and lift it to drag it with a tractor. Also a two man one with handles sticking out both sides.
    7. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      Early ones were called cant hooks and swinging dingles. Peavey was originally spelled pivi but the inventor was a man named Peavey.
    8. Arthur-Main, 5 years ago
      Thank you fhrjr2! I still have not been able to locate a picture of one like the one I have, do you have a URL of a picture?
    9. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      I deleted the page but I was on a logging web site up in the state of Maine. Google isn't so great looking for antique stuff. Years ago I worked in the woods up in Vermont and New Hampshire during the winter so looked toward home for information.
    10. UncleRon UncleRon, 5 years ago
      I suspected that this was not a logging tool since, among other things, the short arms would not allow it to grip a log properly; they would pivot out and slip off any log, not dig in. They had to be used in a more vertical position. It is a railroad tool used to pull spikes when removing rail. The cat's paws would be hammered under the spike heads and a chain would be hooked to the short pivoting arm at the top for pulling them out.
    11. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      You hit the nail on the head UncleRon. Here is a picture
    12. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      UncleRon is a good teacher to say the least. His eyes are also more keen.
    13. Arthur-Main, 5 years ago
      UncleRon, you are spot on, I was able to locate similar spike pullers on the web, thank you for your help!
    14. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
      Much respect for UncleRon. He is a wise old buzzard.
    15. Widget85, 2 years ago
      Hi everyone;
      I've just seen this page and want to correct the misinformation. Many sites call this a railroad spike remover, but it's a vintage wire strainer.
      Here's a link to a modern day version;

      Hope this helps.
      Regards, Brian
    16. Motoolz, 2 years ago
      Consider the small hooks for catching links of a chain. Possibly for rotating or grabbing a log. Any research on a stump puller. A fairly common tool¿
    17. CrowderFarms, 2 years ago
      Not sure if it has been figured out yet, but it is used to stretch wire or as a primitive come along. The back loop is normally tied to the woven wire strecher clamp. You stick a pole in the cuff to work it back and forth. The two hooks actually grab the links of a chain and walk down the chain to stretch the wire. It works best as a two man job. When you are done stretching a bolt or rod goes in the holes to hold tension. slow go, but has mega pulling power. Hope that helps.
    18. CrowderFarms, 2 years ago
      Send me your phone number and I can do a video for you to see. I pulled so much wire with one when I was 11 that I dreamed about it.????????

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.