unusual ice tongs

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware311 of 6445WESTON PRIMARY LAB STANDARD1/4 - 40 Tap, Die, Extractor

GoldenwingGoldenwing loves this.
fhrjr2fhrjr2 loves this.
PhilDMorrisPhilDMorris loves this.
bobby725bobby725 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.

Posted 4 months ago

srarman

I bought these ice tongs at an auction. I've never seen ones like them before. Online searches have not looked like these either. Instead of points on the end there are knives. I am wondering if they were also designed to cut blocks of ice into smaller pieces. The handles are long above the hinge point so they would give you more leverage against the knives. I would appreciate any information about these ice tongs. Thank you.

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 months ago
    Maybe for carrying logs in lumber-jacking.
  2. bobby725 bobby725, 4 months ago
    I think they were for carrying railroad ties.
  3. PhilDMorris PhilDMorris, 4 months ago
    I was wondering why they were hung near the roof. Possible the picture is upside oops !
  4. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 months ago
    Now we have to consider levitation ?!
  5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 months ago
    I would agree with bobby725. It appears to have the flip down lock to maintain the bite in the tie. Although normally you used a two man unit to lift or carry the single tongs were commonly used to drag ties.
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 months ago
    Rather be laying Thai's. LOL !
  7. CWcollection CWcollection, 4 months ago
    I think that the picture is upside down. I do not believe they are ice tongs. Could you provid a picture of them closed ,handled together. I may be able to Tess more about them
  8. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 4 months ago
    Tess more about them?? Do it when sober so we all understand. Tessing is like up side down pic's, takes a special knack.
  9. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 4 months ago
    Are the handles made for a hand or are they rings ?
  10. CWcollection CWcollection, 4 months ago
    I noticed that the left handle has a metal part secured near he hinge point. In order to use there I seems to me that when something is grasped the handles should be close together. I have used ice tongs to lift 50 lb blocks of ice and the tong handles could be grasped with one hand.
    These do not appear to be ice tongs. More like tongs used to pull on a wood plant that is being plane flat. Just a guess tho
  11. srarman, 4 months ago
    The handles are made for hands and not rings. Thank you everyone for your comments. Sorry for the picture being upside down. I enjoy having tools that are unusual. This one filled the bill.