c.1910 65-88 note Aeolian Metrostyle Themodist Pianola piano player

In Musical Instruments > Pianos > Show & Tell.
Pianos6 of 35Baby Grand PianoBoston Merrill player piano

kyratangokyratango loves this.
auraaura loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
BrunswickBrunswick loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
AnythingObscureAnythingObscure loves this.
SpiritBearSpiritBear loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Meowman

Rare (I know of perhaps half a dozen in the U.S.) 65-88 note Aeolian Metrostyle Themodist piano player. Its like a player piano but an external unit, and plays both standard 88-note rolls and the earlier (pre-1908) 65-note rolls. Equipped with the "Themodist" feature which accents the melody on rolls with the special "themodist" coding and the "Metrostyle", a pointer with which the user follows a marked "tempo line" indicating where to speed up and slow down, this device uses mechanically actuated "fingers" that press the keys when actuated by the roll . Third photo shows two sets of holes to read rolls, the top for 88-note rolls, bottom for 65-note rolls, as well as the metrostyle pointer, fourth photo shows the "fingers".

Comments

1. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 1 year ago
      This is SO AWESOME!!! I've wanted a player piano since the first time I saw one when I was a child -- which, as matter of fact, my Mom sorta literally had to drag me *away from* kicking/screaming/crying "NO, I don't wanna go, PLAY IT AGAIN!!" [after, in fact, what had likely been well over an hour of already "playing it again" -- my folks' friend (the piano's owner) was probably good and ready to shut it off too, by that point...? <LOLOL>] Many decades later I haven't found my own yet, but still keep my eye out... ;-)

Is this machine (as it would certainly appear) restored and functional? OH, how LUCKY you are to have it!! <applause> I bet I'm not the only one here that would (more than) enjoy seeing/hearing it run -- any chance there is (or could be?) a YouTube video (or something) that you could share??
    2. Meowman Meowman, 1 year ago
      here's a vid of someone (not me, but a friend) playing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5KMKuD6b2M
    3. antiquerose antiquerose, 1 year ago
      NEAT -- Kinda like a Pump organ in a sense. This site has a large database of organs, and you might want to add yours there for historic interest.....???

4. Brunswick Brunswick, 1 year ago
      Awesome!!
      T.
    5. Meowman Meowman, 1 year ago
      Here's a vid of me playing it...not a terribly GOOD vid, but a vid....you can see the "fingers" pushing the keys down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8BClBuI28&feature=youtu.be

6. antiquerose antiquerose, 1 year ago
      Great VID, I enjoyed it. Thanks !!!!!!
    7. Tintin801 Tintin801, 3 months ago
      I have one my grandpa has been hoarding in the back corner of his shop. Who would I talk to about getting it looked at? It's in rough shape but I wouldnt say unsalvageable. I'm in Utah..