Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Has anybody ever seen anything like this ?

In Furniture > Show & Tell and Victorian Era > Show & Tell.
Furniture9844 of 11595How old is my chair?Federal Mirror, Gold Gilt, 16 balls, convex mirror, circa????
Love it
Like it

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
WaterfaireeWaterfairee likes this.
walksoftlywalksoftly likes this.
Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 7 years ago

(1 item)

It's 1850-1900 victorian. It weighs about 80-85 lbs. It could have had a marble top ,but I think somebody had it set up for glass. If anybody knows more about this ,please let me know , thanks.

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. stefdesign stefdesign, 7 years ago
    If I had to guess, I'd say it might have been a Victorian tree guard. Perhaps it once had a circular bench attached.
  2. Rucko, 7 years ago
    it's not up side down ,if you look a little closer you'll see the little suction cups on top for a glass or stone top. I have been searching just about every antique , fence , outdoor furniture, tree gates & cast iron sites & have not found anything that even comes close to this design . I even have a few antique dealers scratching their heads. If anyone knows of a web site or other information please let me know. Thanks .
  3. AmberRose AmberRose, 7 years ago
    How tall is it? You seem to consider it tall enough for a sit down table? Just looking for all the clues to figure it out.
  4. AmberRose AmberRose, 7 years ago
    Also, where do you live? USA? Europe? If USA...North, South etc. again, different places had their quirks so I am just trying to add to the picture.
  5. Rucko, 7 years ago
    AmberRose, it's a suitable size to sit at, and we are in Central Florida.
  6. Rucko, 7 years ago
    it's 29 inches tall add an inch or so with a top, 17 inches wide at the bottom & 27 inches at the top & it has 6 sides and adjustable legs . there weren't any chairs or top with it. I am also in central florida which is where I got this piece from but I don't think it was here too long because there is hardly any rust. thanks alot for your help.
  7. Rucko, 7 years ago
    i'm going to have it sand blasted & powder coated & then i'll probally sell it.
  8. trubblemakr, 7 years ago
    looks like a patio table stand to me, those things that look like suction cups look like metal to me and they probably the feet
  9. trubblemakr, 7 years ago
    looks to me like its upside down, might have been a fancy surround for a little trash can? they didnt have suction cups in the 1800s did they? not to afix glass or table tops im pretty sure
  10. Rucko, 7 years ago
    the pic on the right is the bottom ,those little metal things are adjustable feet. the suction cups are in the pic on the left. No they didn't have them in the 1800s,they had something else to put between the stand & a top to prevent scratching or other damage. Thats the way i found it ,but not a bad idea for a glass top.
  11. Rucko, 7 years ago
    Yes that's what I was thinking . somebody took 6 panels and welded them together but they did it good . I just wonder why I can't find this design anywhere else. Like you said it could be from a stairway , I was looking at fences or garden ornaments, but nothing close to this. Thanks Rob
  12. Rucko, 7 years ago
    Thanks again Rob, that was very helpful.
  13. Knifeguy, 7 years ago
    I'm with Robin, I believe it's a fancy victorian baluster. I really don't think it's been welded as cast irion is very difficult to weld.


    Another Robin
  14. Rucko, 7 years ago
    i'll put up a new pic , I'm pretty sure it's welded . i've read some articles about arc welding cast iron in late 1800s before that they were forged.
  15. Knifeguy, 7 years ago
    Do a closeup of what you think are welds. Cast iron was poured into a mold not forged.
  16. Rucko, 7 years ago
    i just added another pic you might have to zoom in a little look where the red arrows are.
  17. Rucko, 7 years ago
    the welds were forged by hand.
  18. Rucko, 7 years ago
    it is hard to weld cast iron but not impossible ,i've seen it done on engine blocks a few times.
  19. Knifeguy, 7 years ago
    You're right about it being welded but not about being forge welded. Forge welding is done with heat in a forge and pounded with a hammer.
  20. Rucko, 7 years ago
    right this looks more like arc welded.
  21. Knifeguy, 7 years ago
    Looking carefully at the pictures, it looks like the pieces that are at right angles are also welded on. If this is the case I think it may have been made up from an early "window railing". They used to put a mini balcony railing around upper windows in bigger victorian homes.
  22. Rucko, 7 years ago
    Yes that's right , i forgot about that . thanks for your help, i appreciate it alot .
  23. walksoftly walksoftly, 7 years ago
    There are three methods that can be used to join cast iron, there is brazing with a torch, identifiable by the brass colour of the filler material, second is again with the torch, but with a bare cast iron rod & powdered flux, this filler material can be identified by colour match to the cast that it is joining. The final method is arc welding, this utilizes a rod with a high nickel content, so the weld will be bright nickel coloured. It is would be difficult to say when the welding was done as these welding techniques were all developed at the beginning of the 1900's. Although major advancements to the arc welding process have been developed in the last fifty years.
  24. michelleamieux michelleamieux, 7 years ago
    I would surmise an umbrella holder placed on the elegant veranda entrance, so that the water did not ruin the fabulous hardwood floors?? That's my impression....Mich

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.