Share your favorites on Show & Tell

unknown utensil

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware7981 of 9608sewing tools?Wooden insulator rods
Love it
Like it

blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 likes this.
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 10 years ago

    (5 items)

    Does anyone at all know what this is? at first I thought it might be a tea ball I looked at pages of tea balls and although its the same concept, the holes are way too big. Also, does anyone know how old this item might be? When you squeeze the handle the top part opens up, not wide enough to be a spatula or tongs. Dont think it opens enough to pick up a hot hard boiled egg. help!!!!

    Mystery Solved
    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    15" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/Glass Knob In Antique Turquoise/Teal Accent
    Cast Iron Door Plate With Acrylic/G...
    6 Solid Brass VERY SMALL Stacking Barrister Bookcase 7/16
    6 Solid Brass VERY SMALL Stacking B...
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus Dionysus Greek God Of Wine Face Door Knocker
    Vintage Antique Solid Brass Bacchus...
    15" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. gargoylecollector gargoylecollector, 10 years ago
      I *THINK* it was used to clean smaller things ,put them in it and dunk them in a cleaning solution.I have one a little smaller that came from a jewelery store.Hope this helps!
    2. chinablue chinablue, 10 years ago
      I'm inclined to think it's an infuser of some kind even with the large mesh. Perhaps for whole leaf tea, or more likely for making infusions of herbs.
    3. lorijoje, 10 years ago
      would this item be vintage? and although I have thought of those things its still not a definate? Old items can be confusing...
    4. chinablue chinablue, 10 years ago
      Or maybe.. a poached egg lifter?? I'm grasping at straws here! :-)
    5. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 10 years ago
      Isn't this a soap collecter? People would put the little bits of bar soap left overs in them and then it would be dipped into the dish bath to use for washing the dishes.
    6. nsvmom nsvmom, 10 years ago
      I found a similar item, after checking out ho2cultcha's idea... Very possible!
    7. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 10 years ago
      yes, it's called a 'soapsaver'.
    8. lorijoje, 10 years ago
      ho2cultcha and nsvmom, thank you, thats not the first person that said that, is it old? do they still make them?
    9. ho2cultcha ho2cultcha, 10 years ago
      probably from the 20s-40s - my guess. i haven't seen new ones, but my mom still uses the old ones. they're always full of soap remains.
    10. lorijoje, 10 years ago
      again thank you very much...lorijoje

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.