wooden coat of arms

All items130338 of 192938Impresionism painting "H Nelson"? boats - Europe? GIUSEPPINA AND TURI "BUONA PASQUA"

lisalisa loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.
epson233epson233 loves this.
    NULL

andyman

Here is a carved wood coat of arms .I have not been able to identify it.
There are 9 spaces in the field.
It is from Canada I am quite sure, found in British Columbia.
It is made of wood and hand carved.
27 inches tall 5 feet wide.
I updated the photo's with a Canadian pacific map from 1914.
I think I may have a Canadian Pacific Railway carved logo.
The beaver faces the same way ,both are from Canada,The beaver is chewing a branch in each respect.

Comments

1. epson233 epson233, 5 years ago
    classy little guy!!!!
  2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    What makes you think it is from Canada, eh. LOL I see no Molson emblem.
  3. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    B'buss all those trips to Canada changed the way you talk...eh!
  4. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    F---ing right,eh. Actually the beaver ranges down as far as the Gulf coast. Of course the cold clime ones were a much richer & thicker fur. Used to trap them in N. AL as a kid. Really good eating. (belay the risque remarks as I am trying to do). Beaver burgers are really good.
    Really love this crest. Brings back memories. Got a kid in Alberta.
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    You must have been hungry B'buss, surrounded by them up here but never heard of anyone eating them.
    I suppose they would go good with possum & squirrel. lol
    A kid in Alberta you say!
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Taste like beef. Fine grained & tender. Great B-B-Q'ed. Try it. "Kid" would be 38-40 by now & in parts unknown.
  7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    P.S. Hate possum & squirrel.
  8. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    Beaver and Bieber are related it seems because of the Middle High German "biber" ‘beaver’, German "Biber" and the Yiddish "biber" a possible nickname for a hard worker.

Perhaps an entrepreneurial entertainer might well be interested in this item?

Might be a way of adding some "cachet" to the family name? Just what you need above a fireplace in a Bieber mansion somewhere?
  9. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    I'll take your word on it, I just couldn't bring myself to eat our National & Provincial symbol.
    I think we got off topic on this post, sorry andyman.
  10. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    So this would have national significance then?
  11. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    The beaver is on the Canadian Coat of Arms, as well as the Provincial Coats of Arms of Manitoba, Saskatchewan & Alberta. The three prairie provinces were once part of Rubert's Land & belonged to the Hudson's Bay Company.
  12. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    You just sent me off looking at Rupert's Land. Charles II?
    "Areas once belonging to Rupert's Land include all of Manitoba, most of Saskatchewan, southern Alberta, southern Nunavut, and northern parts of Ontario and Quebec, as well as parts of Minnesota and North Dakota and very small parts of Montana and South Dakota."
  13. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    The beaver was the primary currency for all of that territory, over the course of two hundred years. There is a tremendous amount of history surrounding the time period. Originally all of Rupert's Land was comprised of the lands that drained into Hudson's Bay, but there reach extended beyond those boundaries.
    The HBC kept meticulous records & did extensive surveying of the territory so that accurate maps could be made.
    Their records are for the most part held in the Manitoba Provincial Archives in Winnipeg.
  14. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Rupert's Land, Newfoundland. Don't guess there were any Rupie jokes. Had my hopes up for a moment.
    Thanks, I love history & have had an entirely new facet opened up. Was quite familiar with HBC but this is new info..
  15. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Andyman, you won the lottery with this item. Great history. I'll give you a hectare of land 5 goats & 4 copper bracelets for it. Just think how cool that would look displayed here in the tropics. Better than a pair of old snow/neige shoes.
  16. pickrknows pickrknows, 5 years ago
    That's an awesome piece , maybe off a Provincial Parliment building maybe? Very detailed coat of arms, I've got the perfect place for it!!
  17. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    Hey, pickyrnose, beat my offer!
  18. walksoftly walksoftly, 5 years ago
    It looks more impressive in the new pictures!
    Possibly from a hotel or lodge?
  19. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 5 years ago
    What is the beaver made of or finished with? Things like the leaves look metallic.
  20. andyman andyman, 5 years ago
    I saw it online at an auction and said well that is it is amazing I phoned in an an absentee bid without even examining the piece and won and .
    There it is
  21. andyman andyman, 5 years ago
    It is made of wood and hand carved.

22. vetraio50 vetraio50, 5 years ago
    These new photos look great!
  23. andyman andyman, 4 years ago