Early Military Sweetheart pins

In Military and Wartime > Military Insignia and Pins > Show & Tell and Costume Jewelry > Sweetheart Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Military Insignia and Pins141 of 189Pre-1981 Jewish Chaplain's Insignia1st CAV Division, Korea tour souvenir c. 1963

PoopPoop loves this.
ttomtuckerttomtucker loves this.
packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly likes this.

scottvez

I have several of these and believe that they are Spanish American War (1898) era sweetheart pins.

They would have been worn stateside to show support for the war effort.

Each is about 2" long. One has a stamped copper bullet, while the other has a stamped brass eagle and shield.

Thanks for looking,

Scott

Comments

1. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 3 years ago
    Funny, but the rifles do not look like American rifles of the period, yet one has the American eagle. The rifles look like British Lee-Metfords or Lee-Enfields. That would still fit the Spanish American War era, as the Lee-Metford was issued in 1888 and the Lee-Enfield started issue in 1895.
  2. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Thanks Chris-- that is what had me confused.

I didn't recognize the rifles-- esp. the area forward of the trigger guard.

Scott
  3. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 3 years ago
    I wonder if these might have been made a bit later, like in WWI. I'm thinking that if the rifle portions were British made for their own sweetheart pins, some enterprising Brit might have substituted the American Eagle to sell a few to our doughboys overseas.
  4. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Could be-- but I'd lean toward pre- 1900 manufacture based on the style of the bullet, shield and pinback.

It could be a case of a US maker using an obscure rifle for the pin (both Remington and Winchester made similar rifles for the US Navy in conjunction with Lee).

I guess I'll never know for certain, but I appreciate your input Chris!

Scott
  5. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Thanks for looking walksoftly.

Scott
  6. scottvez scottvez, 3 years ago
    Thanks for looking packrat.

Scott
  7. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Thanks p...!

scott
  8. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Thanks again tom!

scott
  9. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Thanks again for looking p...!

scott