Martin & Maier antique Trunk

In Furniture > Trunks > Show & Tell and Furniture > Victorian Furniture > Show & Tell.
Trunks584 of 787George Zee chest.Primitive Shaker Dovetail Storage Box Candlebox?

TammystrunksTammystrunks loves this.
HunterHunter likes this.
cworkcwork loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.

kaileydad
(1 item)

I just bought this trunk at an estate sale from a woman who has owned it for the last 42 years. Unfortunately she didn't know much about it and I have not been able to find one like it online. I have found lots of information on the MM company but would like to know when this was made, if there is a particular style/model #, and some idea of its value.
I'm thinking to refinish it for my office. Thanks everybody for your help...It is beautiful!

Comments

1. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    That is a completely stunning awesome trunk. I would hazard a guess as to late 1800's, maybe 1890's. It would be called a dome top trunk in terms of style type. I would not be able to guess value as I am not in your market area. I would suggest you make your last picture your first picture because that is what shows up on the new item screen and some may miss that this is a trunk picture. There are a few trunk experts on this forum who I hope can help you more. Thanks for the post -- truly inspiring trunk!
  2. kaileydad, 2 years ago
    I looked it over and the lock is dated Oct 2 1888.
  3. fearghais, 2 years ago
    Wow! That is one of the nicest I have seen on here. Beautiful!
  4. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    Wow from me too! Personally, I'd not touch the finish on it. Just a good cleaning and oiling and call it a day. LOVELY! :-)
  5. Poppop, 2 years ago
    Best I've seen.
  6. fearghais, 2 years ago
    I agree with ChinaBlue - I'd clean it only - it is WAY to gorgeous to do anything else to. Every time I come across this trunk on this my mouth mouths "wow"...every time :)
  7. kaileydad, 2 years ago
    I have an offer for my trunk, but would like more opinions on its value. Any help would be appreciated.
  8. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    You have a rare signature trunk. I would seek a formal appraisal before taking offers.
  9. sayer34, 2 years ago
    Kaileydad: Very nice trunk-Take a look at the 1902 Sears catalog -they have several pages devoted to trunks and traveling bags-good illustrations-decriptions and prices-Before you sell your trunk think about it for a while.By the photos you have posted your trunk is much better than average condition
  10. disneypoppop, 2 years ago
    Only two things I would do with this. Dust it and love it.