Amber Cut Glass Footed bowl~Beautifully cut, Quality~American?

In Glassware > Cut Glass > Show & Tell.
Cut Glass120 of 300Cut glass dish with silver and faux (?) tortoiseshell cover - searching for silver mark IDdecantor

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
BigTexBigTex loves this.
dasullywondasullywon loves this.
chezpattychezpatty loves this.
cindyjunecindyjune loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.

Budek

I've had this for a long time,
just washed the dust off of it to put on here
it's such a beautiful color, and so beautifully cut
an ambitious piece to be sure, the foot seems almost carved out of glass
Do you suppose it might be of European origin?, or could it be American?

Thanks for taking a look,
Tony.

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Hi Tony. It really is a beautiful 'salt'.
    I have a pair of clear ones here on CW.

Mine have lemon squeezer feet.
    The colour of yours is lovely.
    How tall is yours?
  2. Budek Budek, 2 years ago
    Hello Kevin, thanks for the helpful comment.
    Your 2 are lovely.
    This one is 7 1/2 inches to the points,
    7 1/2 inches long, 4 1/2 inches wide, ground flat on the bottom
    It has a few small nicks, but it's such a beautiful piece, you don't really notice.
    You're a kind man, thanks for all of your help.
    Tony.
  3. Budek Budek, 2 years ago
    P.S., what are lemon squeezer feet?:)
  4. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    The foot has a press moulded dome like an inverted lemon squeezer.
    Some good later and cleare examples here.
    The foot on yours is different.
    But given the size, I'd say it is a bowl rather than a salt.
    It must be a weighty item.
    Solid, it's then been star cut to obliterate the pontil, I think.
    I'm interested to hear whether others recognize it as an American piece or not.

5. Budek Budek, 2 years ago
    Hello Kevin,
    Very interesting, I see what the lemon sqeezer foot is, Thanks!
    It is a little heavy, a nice quality. I'm also interested to hear what others may think, I'll be in touch to let you know if there's any news:)
    Ciao Amico,
    Tony.
    and Thank You for the Love, Mustang!
  6. Budek Budek, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love, Kerry, Cindy, Patty, and da Sully!
  7. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    by any chance do you have a black light? have you ever tested this piece. some of the strongest uranium glass pieces are this color..
  8. Budek Budek, 2 years ago
    Hello Great Snowy Owl,
    Thanks for the ' black light ' tip, I'll give it a try.
    I hope you're having a good week,
    Best regards, Tony.
  9. lovedecanters lovedecanters, 1 year ago
    The cutting to this is sharp and precis, which would indicate that it is probably not from the UK as salt boats had gone out of fashion by the time machine powered glass cutting had come in. I don't know of any boat bowls from the continent, so I suspect this might be made in the US where, some UK styles were copied slightly later. It's a little large for a salt boat, I expect it was for sweets.
  10. LOUMANAL LOUMANAL, 1 year ago
    Hi Budek! Look up Early 19th Century Anglo-Irish Cut Glass and you will find many examples of the exact color and cuttings on your Open Salt! RER (LOUMANAL)
  11. LOUMANAL LOUMANAL, 1 year ago
    Budek! Here is an example of your Irish Waterford Salt. RER (LOUMANAL) http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3561077
  12. Budek Budek, 1 year ago
    Thank You for the comments, Lovedecanters and Loumanal.
    Lots of great information, and I was excited to see the Irish Waterford Salt,....so similar in shape and cut.
    I'll get back to you both when I have more time.
    Best Regards,