Pink Floyd "Animals" 1977 3-D display by Hipgnosis

In Music > Show & Tell and Advertising > Store Displays > Show & Tell.
Music Memorabilia385 of 981Steve Miller "Book of Dreams" 1977 3-D Mobile Store DisplayBeatles litho with Pete Best

Hems303Hems303 loves this.
BeatleJim55BeatleJim55 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.

Pencil-nec…

Finally dug this out of storage (almost forgot I had it... definitely spaced out WHERE....). I figured it would show up again when pigs fly.... and it did.

Design by Roger Waters, executed by Hipgnosis. A true classic record store display!

Comments

1. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Hi Pencil-nec... Many thanks for posting this. Brings back many hazy memories. I attended the Animals Tour on their Stafford venue date, and before and since; have travelled all over, watching from the side-lines. Not sure if Flloyd's artist in residence (as it were) Storm Thorgerson had a hand in designing your posted display. Storm Thorgerson is a professional acquaintance of mine in my role as a professional illustrator. I was involved with his "Storm Studios" before I set up my "Shire Studios" which I'm glad to say is still operating to this very day! .....it funds my collecting addictions and presence here on CW (when I should be working!). Anyway thanks again for posting this reminder of good times! ;)
  2. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    P.S. I've got some of his original stuff in archive somewhere, I'll have to dig it out and perhaps post, although not really my genre on CW (bit too much like work!)
  3. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    Glad to see I hit your memory-bone square, Hems. As I said, I was hazy on where I'd stuck it ~ probably for the same reasons .....

From what I understand, Storm designed the actual album cover for 'Animals' (which I never owned), but the base concept came from Roger and was fleshed out by Hipgnosis. Don't really understand the difference...I was not knee-deep into this minituae back in the day ~ just got that from a wiki search. Always appreciated the art, though.
  4. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Yes you are absolutely right on that! But unfortunately it is the minituae that brings in the money! Roger and other members of the band worked closely around the table with Storm on many, many of the various designs. They were (and those left; ARE) VERY creative people, as you know with fine art University backgrounds interacting well with such artists as Storm and later Gerald Scarfe for "The Wall". The flying Pig was Rogers idea! As was the shot down plane used in the gigs, Storm just took the ideas usually and made them work (visually) for the artwork, a "cast of thousands" then had to execute them in reality for the performances.... a very different matter!!!! The "spectrum/prism" icon for Dark Side was Rick Wright's idea (no matter what rock "historians" might claim!!!). Floyd as a creative group invented what is now the standard semi-circular rigged stage for back projection...Storm actually roughed out a concept design for this in discussion on the back of a piece of paper which I have squirrelled away somewhere!
  5. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    Fascinating insight, Hems! So, in your opinion, which came first? The Storm or the Hipgnosis? I understand that the creative process from your discription was organic and collaborative, but is Wiki inaccurate attributing it as I described above? Seems they have it pretty well documented on its face to me.
  6. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    Oh... and I'll give you five bucks for that concept design scribbling....
  7. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    I haven't had time to go to Wikipedia so can't comment on what they say, they normally get it right in the end, we have even contributed here & there.

Storm Studios ARE operating to this day, post Hipgnosis.

The artwork was taken by the contracted Visual Artists; on from concept offered by certain of the band members (each time the ex Art College members who still saw their (Visual) artistic vision/s being paramount). For example the Prism/Spectrum...Rick was so fired up, proactive and vocal on the subject, even tho he didn't lay pen to paper HE has to be given the credit for how the logo transpired....if'n you see what I'm getting at.

If you go to http://www.stormthorgerson.com/ you can sign up for a (not sure here) Storm Studios Newsletter, you can ask these questions of the man who knows best (But I must say that Gerald Scarfe was a different situation...he stood his ground).

P.S. I've had a rummage and found the rough for "Mr Screen" as it was called by some (the circular signature Floyd screen)...unfortunately it's not signed but then again why would it be....so it's pretty worthless I'm afraid. IF you still want it, it's yours no charge. :(
  8. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    What an incredibly gracious offer, Hems!!! But honestly my tongue was in my cheek when I made that $5 offer, not for a second imagining you would consider giving it up.

(I do that a lot, offer $5 for amazing stuff ~ like vintage cars ... but it's also amazing some of the things I've gotten for that price ~ including a folk art lamp at an estate sale they had tagged for $500 that I took to the Antiques Roadshow. The appraiser LOVED it and gave it an estimated value of $1500-1800 at a high-end show for that genre!)

Anyhoo... seems to me that little slip of paper you have should indeed be preserved and accompanied by your backstory regarding its provenance. Have you considered offering it to the R&R Hall of Fame in Cleveland or Paul Allen's Experience Music Project in Seattle? I know *I* would appreciate it if I came across it in a display while touring one of those venues! You really should consider that, IMO.
    And thanks again for even considering me as a recipient....
  9. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Hi Pencil... Not really aware of the venues you mentioned as I'm in UK and we do tend to be a bit parochial in outlook at times...LOL What I am going to try do is see if I my Admin can tube it up and post to Storm and get him to sign (if he recognises it!) then I can still let you have it and it won't need my dodgy provenance. I have this post in my saved "collection" thing...so can keep in touch that way.

Steve
  10. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    The rock Hall of Fame is in Cleveland, Ohio, Steve. It is pretty big-time as those operations go with annual induction ceremonies that are televised. Here's a link:

The Experience Music Project, on the other hand, is located in Seattle, Washington and is pretty much a vanity operation to benefit Paul Allen (of Microsoft/Bill Gates fame) and give him a place to store his incredible collection of vintage guitars & etc ~ and charge folks to gaze at 'em. It does have it's good points, though. Here's their link:

I would encourage you to document what you have there. That ephemeral stuff is what disappears first and deserves to be preserved. It is quite simply the flesh on the bones of history. Gawd help us if Justin Bieber or some such ended up getting credit for such leaps of technology & invention....
  11. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    LOl...what a thought, and thanks for the links, will look asap.
  12. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    teve ~ if you are going to consider a donation, pay particular attention to the "Library and Archives" link on the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame link above. They have an impressive list of personal papers from all ends of the spectrum; artist, production, &etc. (You might mention it to Storm over a pint some day, too...)
  13. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Found the roughs/sketches & some other bits'n'pieces such as floyd tickets/flyers/mag/cvr art/...most V. poor state. Just gotta srt out & figure best approach (if any).

TTFN

Steve
  14. Pencil-necked-geek, 2 years ago
    Hello again, Steve!
    Hope you can find a moment to post some pictures of that accumulation. It would be nice to see what it represents, as much as we have discussed it here. While for me, it is mostly pearls before swine (me being the piggie), it just might make someone here pop a wheelie in appreciation.