Vintage Max Factor "Pocket Watch" Compact

In Accessories > Compacts > Show & Tell.
Compacts97 of 128Musical compact, what can you tell me?Vintage Du Barry Richard Hudnut gold tone oblong necklace compact

RadegunderRadegunder loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.

This fabulous vintage Max Factor "Pocket Watch" style compact depicts on two sites a naked woman and child. It is an antiqued gold tone metal finish. Heavy, the compact is shaped like a pocket watch and shows a picture that resembles an old/antique drawing in a circle around the front. Inside, a small powder puff is marked MF and there is a light toned powder intact and used inside along with a mirror.
The compact measures about 2" in diameter with an extra 1/2" for the stem. This compact is in good used condition.
Who has an idea of the period it could be?

Mystery Solved

1. Agram.m Agram.m, 3 years ago
    Mustangtony and BELLIN68 thanks for loving.
  2. aidyl818, 2 years ago
    I found the same at an antique shop in Okeechobee Florida, I purchased it for $25. Similar ones I have found online seem to go anywhere from $40 - $80. The time periods are from the 40s - 60s. I hope this information helps. If you learn anymore about this piece please contact me.
  3. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Aidyl1818 thanks a lot for your info, it give me more information also about the axtual " value". Of course i will inform you if i get more information.
  4. KLoEditor, 2 years ago
    Your item is a Max Factor powder compact from the early 70s, selling at the time for about 4.oo retail. They were made in a series of five, the one you have is called Aphrodite.
  5. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    KLoEditor thanks you very much for your comment, At least I know now that year and so on. Have you any idea what such item is worth nowadays?
  6. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 2 months ago
    Ha! I have just discovered myself in a comment from 2 years ago! Agram.m, is this still an unsolved mystery? :)
  7. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 months ago
    katherinescollections, thanks for your comment and yes the mystery is solved now, thank you!
  8. kyratango kyratango, 2 months ago
    Hi Agram, have you got my mail with contact infos?
    May be in your spam box...
  9. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 months ago
    Kyratango, no I didn't receive your mail. Please send again to my own private mail account I send you yesterday. I will let you know that and when I receive your message!
  10. kyratango kyratango, 2 months ago
    Oh! I saw your question sent from your son's PC.
    I'm answering on your own address :-)
  11. maggies maggies, 2 months ago
    I have a one too. It has the birds on it. I am trying to find the exact date myself but from what I gather online it is in the 50s these items were made. Don't quote me on this year though. Thanks
  12. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 months ago
    Missed this earlier...very neat item, didn't realize these things were made....interesting
  13. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 months ago
    maggies and kerry10456 thank you both for your comment and love.
  14. maggies maggies, 2 months ago
    You are welcome. I am trying to find out more. When I do i will be sure to post my findings for you.
  15. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 2 months ago
    kerry, the history of these pocket watch compacts is telling, if you're interested. Up until around WWI, loose women wore makeup, nice ladies didn't. Well of course they did, they just had to be sneaky about it. So powder compacts were made to look like, among other things, pocket watches.
  16. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 months ago
    Thanks katherinescollections for the story line behind them, makes sense to me. Again, I never realized they were produced and now know more about such. Thanks again
  17. kyratango kyratango, 2 months ago
    Ha, missed it too when it was posted... Marga, your compact is amazing and beautiful!
    Katherine, as Kerry, I learn from your so interesting comment :-)
    Nowadays some may have cocaïn boxes made to look like phones ;-)

18. katherinescollections katherinescollections, 2 months ago
    People are so clever, aren't they, kyratango? :)
  19. maggies maggies, 2 months ago