Share your favorites on Show & Tell

do you know what this is

All items219463 of 227887great findantique toys
Love it
Like it

officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
JamesJames likes this.
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 11 years ago

    (10 items)

    found this item along with a old time saloon it locks together how no clue to what it is

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


    1. tikiray tikiray, 11 years ago
      I hope someone knows what this is because I haven't a clue in the world, but I sure would like to know! Its neat!
    2. YardSaleDave, 11 years ago
      Interesting piece. Usually when something has a split case like that, it would indicate some kind of mold, in fact the stamped numbers look like mold numbers. But just what for?????
    3. doggonelucky76, 11 years ago
      its sold wood
    4. YardSaleDave, 11 years ago
      Maybe mold is the wrong term, I was thinking maybe a form, it is in two pieces, correct?
    5. doggonelucky76, 11 years ago
      yes its 2 peice sold wood that lock together never seen one before
    6. Vestaswind Vestaswind, 11 years ago
      If it was mounted to a wall would it be big enough to put bottles on? I'm wondering if it was attached to something that matched. Weird.
    7. Roy, 11 years ago
      It looks like the wooden mould, or form, used to make some sort of cast-iron or other cast-metal product. The mould would be placed in sand. The sand is compacted around the mould. The mould is removed leaving a void in the sand. Molten metal is poured into the void to create a casting that matches the shape of the mould.
    8. MsDowAntiques MsDowAntiques, 11 years ago
      I agree with Roy and Dave - it looks like the sand molds that our Lima Locomotive Works used to make train parts.
    9. Radio Ron, 11 years ago
      That's exactly what it is, it's a form for sand casting.
      Made of fine grain mahogany, notice the way the corners are filleted to
      make the edges smooth.

      Ron w4ron

    10. Dave, 11 years ago
      It is called a wooden pratten for sand casting, can nnot be sure but there could be some core boxes missing that would help tell what the finle shape would be.
    11. Meg, 11 years ago
      Per haps the core boxes are stored upside down, OR ,If something can be run thru the 2 pieces, it could be a candle maket. Many bars used numerous candles, and had rooms for rent that used them. Cheaper than molding candles, the owner would purchase whole honey combs. after getting all the honey out, the honeycomb was rolled as thin as a paper and then hand rolled into candles. I don't know....maybe roots, such as all depends on whether you can run anything thru and between the 2 pieces. Great looking piece.
    12. doggonelucky76, 11 years ago
      thanks everyone for the info

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.