Posted 6 years ago
Here is another steel bank from my collections, Promotional Advertizing Steel Bank from Toronto,Ontario of "The Dominion Permanent Loan Company, 12 King Street West,Toronto,Canada.
Immaculate condition, the electro plated swirle finish was untouch by rust.
This Steel Bank was manufactured by W.F.Burns Company, New-York and Chicago, (1901).
Thanks for Viewing
-------------History of Toronto and County of York in Ontario------------------
--------------Part IV: Toronto: Loans and Savings Companies------------------
The British Canadian Loan and Investment Company, though a comparatively young organization--having only been in existence seven years—is doing a large and steadily increasing business. It was formed in July, 1877, and was incorporated under a special Act of the Dominion Parliament, with an authorized capital of $5,000,000. Its first President was Sir Alexander T. Gait, and its first Vice-President, Mr. A. H. Campbell. The Honourable D. A. Macdonald, formerly Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, the Honourable John Simpson, the Honourable C. F. Eraser, Commissioner of Public Works, the Honourable S. C. Wood, ex-Provincial Treasurer, Major Greig, Messrs. William Ince, Donald McKay, John Burns, J. K. Kerr, Q.C., and other Toronto business men were among the organizers of the company, of which Mr. James Turnbull was appointed Manager. The company commenced operations by taking over the business of the Provincial Loan and Savings Company, amounting to about $350,000. On the appointment of Sir A. T. Gait to the position of Canadian High Com missioner in London, Mr. A. II. Campbell succeeded to the Presidency, and Major Greig was elected to the Vice-Presidency. Both these gentlemen were re-elected at the last annual meeting, On the 1st of May, 1881, a change occurred in the management ; Mr. Turnbull having resigned, his place was filled by Mr. R. H. Johnson. the present Manager, who for eleven years had held a responsible position ri connection with the Canada Permanent Loan and Savings Company. During the last financial year the company, under Mr. Tomlinson's management, effected loans to the amount of $123,778, upon real estate valued at $376,725, making the total amount of loans on mortgage $1,015,574.32. The net revenue for the year, after paying expenses, was $27,764.92—equal to ten and two-fifths per cent, on the paid up capital. Since its formation the Company has paid a half-yearly dividend at the rate of six per cent., and has accumulated a reserve fund of $27,000. During the past },ear t has absorbed the business of the Canada Mortgage Company, involving mortgages to the amount of $365,248.51, and it has also considerably extended its operations m Manitoba. The solicitors of the Company are Messrs. Blake, Kerr, Lash & Cassels; and Messrs. Scott, Moncrieff and Traill, W.S., of Edinburgh, are its general agents in Britain.
The Building and Loan Association was established on the 1st of March, 1870. Its offices are at 13 Toronto Street. Dr. Larratt W. Smith is President, Mr. John Kerr, Vice-President, and Air. Walter Gillespie, Manager. The capital of the association is $750,000, all paid up, and its assets amount to $1,614,000. During the fiscal year ending on the 31st of December, 1884, the earnings of the company amounted to $109,691.89, out of which sum, after all expenses and two dividends had been paid— the latter amounting together to $44,866.20—$15,000 were added to the reserve fund, making it §68,000, and $3,360.43 to the contingent account. The net cash value of the mortgages held by the association at the close of the year exceeded that of the preceding year by $137,124.44. This company has also of late years established an agency in Manitoba, with most satisfactory results. Mr. Walter Gillespie, the Alanager of the Building and Loan Association, is a native of Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland In 1852 he settled in the United States, but in 1877 removed to Toronto where he held the position of Commissioner of the Trust and Loan Company. In 1881 he assumed the managership of the Credit Poncier, and iin the following year he entered upon the position which he now holds.
The Canada Landed Credit Company was established in 1858, and is one of the oldest of its kind in the Province. The object specially aimed at in its formation was to aid the agricultural interests, then in an extremely depressed condition, by the introduction of the cheap money of England, and lending it to the farmers here on such terms as to repayments, as would enable them to avail themselves of the advantages offered by it without undue anxiety as to their ability of repaying the loan, and so of redeeming their farms; eight per cent, per annum was the uniform rate charged by the company from its inception, and the special feature as to repayment which distinguished it was the Sinking Fund, to which two per cent, per annum of the loan was payable, and on which interest at six per cent, per annum, compounded half yearly, was allowed, and which extinguished the loan in twenty-three years. While the borrower had the money from the company lor that period, and so could not be unexpectedly called upon to repay it, he had, what has also been and is now a distinguishing feature of the company , the privilege of paying off his loan on giving six months' notice. For many years after its commencement all the loans made by the compare were on this plan, which was well adapted to the circumstances of the country at the time, but latterly the principle of straight loans has been largely substituted for it. While the company has thus been of advantage to those who borrowed from it, it has also done well for its shareholders, and besides paying them liberal dividends has accumulated a reserve fund of $130,000. The company has throughout been characterized by its fair dealing with ts borrowers. The President of the company is Mr. John L. Blaikie, who was elected to that office in 1871 upon the retirement of Mr. Lewis Moffatt. The present General Manager and Secretary, Mr. David McGee, succeeded Mr. John Symons m 1876.
The Canada Permanent Loan and Savings Company has its offices in the company's building on Toronto Street. It has a subscribed capital of $3,000,000, of which $2,200,000 are paid up. Its total assets are $8,000,000, and it has a reserve fund of $1,100,000. The President is Mr. L. Hooper, and Vice-President Mr. Samuel Nordheiiner. A feature io this Company is its Savings Bank branch. It also receives money for investment, for which debentures are issued in currency or sterling, with interest coupons attached, payable in Canada or in England. Mr. J Herbert Mason is Managing Director.
The Farmers' Loan and Savings Company has its office, at 17 Toronto Street. It was established in 1872 with a capital of $250,000, which has since been increased to $1,057,250; of this latter amount $611,000 are paid up. The net profits of the company's business for the year ending April 30th, 1884, after deducting expenses of management, and all charges, commissions, etc., amounted to $51,242.11, out of which two half-yearly dividends—one of four and one of three and one-half per cent.—were paid, amounting together to $45,857.25, and leaving a balance of $5,384.86 to be added to reserve, making the sum of $87,768.25 now to the credit of that fund. At the last annual meeting of the Board of Directors, Mr. William Mulock, M.P., was re-elected President, and Mr. James Scott, Vice-President. The Secretary and Treasurer is Mr. George S. C. Bethune, who has held that position since the Company was formed. Mr. Bethune is a native of Canada.
The head office of the Freehold Loan and Savings Company is on the corner of Church and Court Streets. The company has been m existence a quarter of a century, and has a paid-up capital of $839,680. with a reserve fund of $364,250. Its President is the Honourable WilJam McMaster; Vice-President, Mr. A. T. Fulton, and Manager, the Honourable S. C. Wood. The net profits for the last financial year were $98,724.62, from which have been paid two half-yearly dividends of five per cent, each, amounting to $78,330.75, and leaving a surplus of $20,393.87. Of this sum $10,000 were carried to reserve, and the balance transferred to contingent account. During the year the company effected loans on mortgages to the amount of $846,840.73. On property valued at $2,260,454; and at the present time it holds mortgages of the net cash value of $2,805,152.17. A portion of the company's business is done in Manitoba, the oversight of which is attended to by a branch office at Winnipeg.
The London and Canadian Loan and Agency Company (Limited) commenced business in 1873. At the present time it has a paid-up capital of $560,000, and a reserve fund of $260,000 ; its investments, made almost entirely on mortgages, amount to $3,547,216.50. During the first two years of its existence it paid dividends of seven and eight per cent, respectively, but since then it has paid ten per cent. During the fiscal year ending on the 30th of August, 1884, it effected loans to the amount of $414,574.51, on property valued at $944,598, and the net result of the year's operations showed a profit of $83,920.49. The President of the company is Sir W. P. Howland ; Vice-Presidents, Col. Gzowski, and Mr. A. T. Fulton; and Manager, Mr. I Grant Macdonald, formerly of Inverness, Scotland. The. company's head offices are at 44 King Street Wrest, Toronto, but it also has an advisory board in Edinburgh.
The National Investment Company oi- Canada (Limited), which was established in 1876, is an off-shoot of the private investment business of the financial firm oi Blaikie & Alexander, so well and favourably known both in Canada and in Great Britain. It is largely a Scottish company. The Manager is Mr. Andrew Rutherford.
Messrs. Osier & H Hammond —General Managers in Canada for the North of Scotland Canadian Mortgage Company (Limited), home office at Aberdeen, Scotland—are also financial agents and dealers in stocks, municipal and railway debentures ; and are members of the Toronto Stock Exchan :e. The agency of the first mentioned company was established some ten years ago under the management of the present firm, and now enjoys a full share of the public confidence.
The Union Loan and Savings Co., of which Mr. Wiliiam Maclean is Manager, commenced operations in 1863. Mr. Maclean is a native of Aberdeen, Scotland, and was sent out to Canada in 1856 by the London Board of Directors of the Buffalo and Lake Huron Railway to take the positions of secretary, treasurer and director of the Company at Brantford, which he held, severally for twelve years. He has been seventeen years with his present company.
In connection with the financial institutions of Toronto it will not be out of place to refer to "The Institute of Accountants and Adjusters of Ontario." The object of this association, winch is to a great extent modelled on the same lines as a similar institute in England, is to improve the standing of those who are actively engaged in accountants' work, or who may be looking forward to it. It includes in its ranks the majority of the leading financiers of the Province, and is steadily growing in numerical strength and in importance.
The Toronto Stock Exchange was incorporated in 1878. It meets at 24 King Street East, but none but members of the Exchange are admitted to its meetings, even members of the Press being excluded. The President is Mr. Henry Pellatt; Vice-President, Mr. II. R. Forbes ; Treasurer, Mr. James Brown ; and Honorary Secretary, Mr. H.L.Hime. There are in all about thirty-one members of the association.
The Toronto Corn Exchange was incorporated in the year 1872, but during the summer of 1884 was amalgamated with the Toronto Board of Trade, the united boards having their headquarters in the Imperial Bank building, 011 the corner of Wellington Street and Exchange Alley.
J. J. Pritchard, 28 and 30 Toronto Street, accountant, insurance and commission agent, has been engaged in his business since 1878. He has also had charge of R. W. Pr.ttie's real estate and emigration business. He was born in England, and caine to Canada in 1871.
Lewis Reford, accountant, native of Belfast, Ireland. Came to Canada in 1845, settled at once in this city, and has been connected with its business interests to the present time. He is a brother of Robert Reford, of the firm of R. Reford & Co.
J. Ick Evans, financial agent and patent right broker, 26, 27 and 28 Union Loan Buildings, is a native of Hereford County, England, and located in Toronto ±n 1863. He commenced _n the hotel and restaurant business, afterwards establishing the well known " Headquarters " in Post-office Lane. He became connected with the firm of Evans, Walker & Roe, wholesale shirt makers, and in the year 1880 commenced his present business, and in 1883 became Manager of the Union and Hand-in-Hand Ranching Colonization Company.
W. White, Stewart and Co., Managers of the Exchange and Mercantile Company of Canada, and Business Brokers, 58 King Street East, took over in 1884 the business established i i 1881 by W. White 3c Co. They are engaged in buying and selling businesses, negotiating partnerships and organizing joint stock companies. Mr. White is a native of Aylmer, Out., and has always been engaged n mercantile business. Mr. Sturgeon Stewart is a native of Simcoe County, Ont. He published for five years the Liberal newspaper at Richmond Hill, and has also extensive experience in professional and mercantile life.
A. R. Williams carries on at 36 and 38 Melinda Street the business of manufacturers' agent and machinery broker. The business was established in 1877 by Morrison Bros., who were succeeded by Mr. Williams in 1883. He deals in all kinds of wood and iron-working machinery, both new and second-hand, handles ail the iron-working machinery made by the London, Ont., Machine Tool Company, consisting of iron lathes, planes, drills, milling machines, etc. In woodwork machinery he is agent for Cant, Gorley Sc Co., of Gait, and is shingle machinery for Goldie & McCulloch, also of Gait. He keeps a full line of machine supplies, consisting of French band saw blades, band saw files, planer knives, "Sweetland lathe chucks," twist drills, taps, dies, etc. He also holds the Toronto agency for J. C. McLaren's oak-tan leather belting, which was awarded the only medal in 1883. An important feature of the business is the exchange of machinery —new for old and vice versa. An extensive import business is done on special 1ines of machinery not manufactured in Canada. Mr. Williams has lately purchased the Soho Machine Works in front of the Un 011 Depot, on the Esplanade, whither he is about to remove.
The Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company of Canada has an authorized capital of $500,000. Its officers are:—Sir Alexander Campbell, President; John L. Blaikie, Vice-President; John Gait, General Manager; George C. Robb, Chief Engineer; and A. Eraser, Secretary-Treasurer. The head office of the company :s in the Free Library Building, Toronto, and it has a branch office at 237 St. James St., Montreal. The company was formed about nine years ago under the name of "The Canadian Steam Users' Insurance Association,." which name was afterwards changed to one more readily understood by the public. Its business is similar to that of companies in Britain, Germany and the United States, and consists of the regular periodical inspection of stearn boilers, and the granting of policies of insurance, covering such loss or damage as may be directly caused by the explosion of steam boilers. The object aimed at is to assist owners of boilers in preventing accidents, and in diminishing the cost of steam power. The company not only makes regular inspections, but also sends to the owners written reports of the condition of the boilers inspected, with advice as to the proper means to adopt to remedy any defects affecting the safety or economy which may have been discovered. The system has proved of great benefit to owners of boilers and users of steam power. All the steam boilers in the various public buildings belonging to the Dominion and Ontario Governments are under the inspection of this company, and most of the large and important manufacturing establishments throughout the country have their boilers insured and regularly examined and reported upon. No better means have yet been found for the prevention of steam boiler explosions, and in addition to the increased safety ensured, it has been found that the directions given for the construction, arrangement, and management of steam machinery have resulted in reduced expenditure for fuel and maintenance. The company, n addition to the insurance and inspection of steam boilers, furnishes plans and specifications for steam machinery, iron roofs, etc., and also carries on business as general consulting engineers.
The Canada Life Assurance Company, which has its head offices in Hamilton, s represented in Toronto by Mr. J. D. Henderson. This gentleman's identification with insurance dates back to 1869, and he has been a resident of Toronto since 1876. This company 'S the oldest and largest in the Dominion; their assets and capital are over $7,000,000, with an income of $1,200,000. Mr. A. G. Ramsay is President of the company as well as Managing Director, and has had a general supervision of the company since 1859. Mr. Henderson is a native of Scotland.
Mr. C. B. Boughton represents the Citizens' Accident Insurance Company of Canada, the head office being in Montreal. This is one of the leading insurance institutions of this country, and has been doing business in Toronto since its incorporation some twenty years ago. Mr. Boughton was connected with the Travellers' Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut, for about five years, anil joined the Citizens' in November, 1883. He is General Agent for the Province and city.
Mr. Richard Wickens, of the firm of Wickens & Mitchell, at present represents the Commercial Union Fire Insurance Company rin, Toronto. He is an Englishman by birth ; carne to Canada in 1836, and arrived in Toronto in 1854. He was for nearly nineteen years connected with the British America Fire Insurance Company. He then in 1873, in connection with Mr. Westmacott, undertook the management of the first mentioned company, and on the decease of Mr. Westmacott, five years later, he was v joined by the late. Mr. Mnchell, the firm being general agents for Ontario, and sole agents for Toronto. The agency enjoys a large share of the underwriting of the city.
The Confederation Life Association is a Home Company, having its head office in Toronto, with agencies in various parts of the Dominion. It was incorporated in 1871 by a special Act of the Dominion Parliament, and commenced to issue policies on the 1st of November of the same year. The company has made excellent progress, and stands high in the estimation of the public. Its popularity is well attested from the fact that for some years it has ranked second amongst the life companies operating in Canada in the matter of new business. The management has been careful and conservative, and the Directors have been more anxious to have a good strong balance-sheet than to do a large business, though i4 may be fairly claimed that both objects have been attained. At the time of writing its assurances have reached $12,500,000, and its capital and funds $2,250,000; $390,981 have been paid to the heirs of deceased policyholders; $25,348.63 to the holders of endowment policies; $63^670 for surrendered policies ; $153,040.20 as profits to policyholders, in addition to which during the later years 10 per cent, has been paid as dividend to the stockholders. The directorate of the company is composed of the best known and most successful business men in the several Provinces. The President is Sir W. P. Howland; Vice-Presidents, Honourable William McMaster and William Elliot, Esq.; Managing Director, j K. Macdonald, Esq.
The Equitable Life Assurance Society has its head office in Broadway, New York. The company first did business in Canada in 1868, and m Toronto shortly after. They are now carrying on the largest business of any company in the world, and are doing in Great Britain alone more than ten of the largest native companies there. They have general offices in Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, and Halifax. Mr. W. J. Smyth, Manager of the Toronto office, s a native of Hastings, a descendant of a U. E. Loyalist of Teutonic origin. His grandfather came to Canada just one century ago.
The Guardian Assurance Company, of London, England, is represented n Toronto by Mr. Henry D. P. Armstrong. He is a native of Ireland, and was born at Holy Cross House, in the County of Tipperary. After his arrival in this country, he was for some six years with W. J. G. Whitney, the well-known real estate agent. The Toronto agency of the Guardian Company was established in 1869, Mr. Armstrong becoming connected with it in 1878. He is the sole agent for the city, and also places a large amount of business outside.
Mr. William Henderson, city representative of the Hartford Eire Insurance Company, of Connecticut, U.S., was born in the. County of Caithness, and educated at Thurso School, Scotland. He came to Canada in the year 1833, an J learned the business of a grocer, under Alexander Ogilvie, when he commenced business on his own account, and was lor upwards of thirty years a wholesale and retail grocer. He represented the Ward of St. David for two years as an Alderman, and is also an ex-President of St. Andrew's Society. He has been a member of the Board of Trade^ and was for many years on the Board of Arbitration. He is a J.P. of the City of Toronto and County of York. Some sixteen years ago he turned his attention to insurance, and is now agent for the Hartford for the City of Toronto, as well as General Inspector for the Dominion. His son, Christopher M. Henderson, is connected with him in the business of the agency.
Mr. Joseph B. Reed, represents the Liverpool and London and Globe Fire Insurance Company, and the Lancashire Fire Insurance Company of Manchester, England; also the Dominion Plate Glass Insurance Company, of Montreal. Mr. Reed has been engaged in insurance for upwards of ten years. The companies he represents have been doing business in the city for from twenty to thirty-five years. Mr. Reed is a Canadian by birth,, and is descended from one of the oldest settlers in York County, his grandfather coming from Staten Island at a very early day in the history of the county.
The Toronto agency of the London Guarantee and Accident Company (Limited), of London, England, of which Mr. Alexander Cromar is Local Manager, was established in 1880, A. T. McCord being Manager for Canada. Mr. Cromar is a native of Glasgow, Scotland, whence he came in 1882, to look after the interests of the company in Canada. He is now General Agent, Inspector and Superintendent of agencies in the Dominion.
Mr. R. N. Gooch represents the North British and Mercantile. Insurance Company, of Edinburgh, Scotland, and London, England. The company was first established in 1809, and is doing a large business both m Fire and Life. The Toronto agency was opened some twenty years ago, Mr. Gooch, who had been for some five years previously interested m insurance matters, taking the management. He filled the position of Chairman of the Board of Underwriters for tw6 years.
The Northern Fire Assurance Company, for which Mr. E.P. Pearson is the agent for Toronto and vicinity, is one of the oldest and wealthiest of the British Fire Companies. The offices of the company are situate at No. 17 Adelaide Street East. Mr. Pearson now controls the business of many of the largest business firms in the country. There is no better company than the Northern, and no more experienced Manager than Mr. Pearson.
Mr. Alexander Dixon is the Manager for the Dominion of Canada of the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, and the Norwich and London Accident Insurance Company, both of Norwich, England. The Toronto agency of the former Company was established in 1880, and that of the latter some three years later. Mr. Dixon is a native of Toronto, and previous to taking up insurance was connected with the Toronto Mail for about six years.
Mr. John Haldane, who was for many years general manager of the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company, now represents as special agent, the Ontario Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Waterloo, Ontario. He is also largely interested in North-West lands. He is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and came to Canada in 1833. For nearly fifteen years he was Manager of the Connecticut Mutual, which company was the largest Life Company ever doing business :n Canada, and the second in the world. The company discontinued business here on account of the Insurance Act, requiring conditions with which they could not constitutionally comply. Its annual income at that time was ten millions. Mr. Haldane's brother, Bernard Haldane, was, during his lifetime, one of the most prominent insurance men in the city, and was for many years connected with the Western Insurance Company, which largely owes its present position to his efforts.
Mr. Lewis Moffatt, of the firm of Lewis Moffat t and Son, representatives of the Phoenix Fire Insurance Company, of London, England, for which they are the sole agents of this city and district, was born in Montreal m 1810, of English parentage. His father, the late Honourable George Moffatt, came to Canada m the spring of 1800, and _n 1812 he became a partner in the leading mercantile firm of Parker, Gerrard & Ogilvy, with which he remained connected till his death, in February, 1865. Mr. Moffatt was the first President of St. George's Society established in Montreal, a member of the Legislative and Executive Councils of Lower Canada, and a member of the Special Council under Lord Sydenham. He was instrumental in promoting the Union of Upper and Lower Canada, and represented the City of Montreal in the first United Parliament, which met at Kingston. Mr. Lewis Moffatt joined the firm of Gillespie, Moffatt & Co. in 1837, and came to Toronto in May, 1842, to establish a branch of the Montreal house, with which he remained connected until 1875, when he continiued the branch of fire insurance that had been carried on by the late firm. His son, Lewis Henry Moffatt, came into the business in 1872, and another son, Frederick Covert Moffatt, is a barrister-at-law in the city.
The Phoenix Insurance Company, of Brooklyn, N. Y., has a capital of $1,000,000, and its annual statement shows gross assets amounting to $3>759>°35-9s- first opened an agency at Toronto m 1874, and Mr. L. C. Camp, the present Manager, was at that time appointed local agent. In 1881, he took charge of the management, and was succeeded in the local agency by his son. The Toronto offices of the company are at 26 Wellington Street East. Mr. Camp is a native of the County of Peel, and is the youngest surviving son of Garry Camp, a citizen of the United States, who came to Canada in 1810 and started business as a millwright at St. Catharines, where he died in 1880. Mr. L. C. Camp married, in 1855, Miss Adelme Hopkins, eldest daughter of Obadiah Hopkins, a farmer, of St. Catharines.
George Graham represents the Queen Fire Insurance Company, of Liverpool and London, England. It is one of the oldest agencies m this city, and has been doing business in Toronto about twenty-five years. Mr. Graham is sole agent for this city and district; he s a native of Toronto, and has been connected with its mercantile interests for upwards of twenty years.
Capt. Chas. Perry, sole agent for this' city of the Royal Canadian Insurance Company, of Montreal, is a native of Somersetshire, England. He came to Canada in 1832, and was in steamboating on the rivers and lakes for twenty-four years. Since 1873 he has been identified with his present company and the insurance interests of the city.
Messrs. Maughan, Kay & Banks represent the Royal Fire and Insurance Company, of Liverpool, England, the city agency of which was established in 1852. They are general and sole agents for the city and county. The members of this firm have been engaged in the business of underwriting from twenty-five to thirty years. Mr. Maughan has been connected with insurance in Toronto for the past thirty-two years, and in 1880 joined the Royal; subsequently Messrs. Kay & Banks (who had represented the British America for thirteen years entered the firm, and now have full control of the local interests of the company.
Messrs. Banks Bros, are the local agents of the Scottish Union and National Insurance Company, of Edinburgh, Scotland. They also do a real estate business in connection with underwriting. They have been identified with the above named company since the establishment of the agency here in 1882, and are its sole agents for the city. They have been connected with the insurance and real estate business for about sixteen years.
Mr. A. H. Gilbert is Manager for Western Ontario and General Agent for Toronto for The Sun Life Assurance Company, of Canada, who have been doing business about twelve years ;n the city. Mr. Gilbert commenced with this company in January, 1883, previous to which time he was engaged with the Canada Life. He is of U. E. Loyalist stock : his grandfather, Stephen Gilbert, having settled on the Bay of Quirite, where he was one of the earliest residents.
Mr. H. O'Hara. who docs a general brokerage, estate and insurance business, was formerly, for several years, manager of the Toronto branch of the Sun Life Assurance Company, and at present takes an interest in the formation of the Temperance and General Life Assurance Company of North America, for which a charter has just been granted. Mr. O'Hara iS a native of the Emerald Isle, and came to Canada n 1843, at the age of eight years ; and after spending a year in Kingston he, with his parents, removed to Bowmanville. He has been over twenty years engaged in the insurance business, fifteen of which were spent in the Town of Bowmanville, where he carried on an extensive retail book, stationery and general merchandise establishment, and was the founder and first President of the Dominion Organ Company, of that place. He has held several offices of trust and confidence, among which were those of Councillor, member of the Board of Education, Grand Worthy Patriarch of the Sons of Temperance of the Province of Ontario, etc., etc. He came to Toronto in 1879.
Mr, C. T. R. Russell is the city representative of the Travellers' Life and Accident Insurance Company, of Hartford, Connecticut. The agency was established in the year 1868. Mr. Rubsell s connection, with the Tory party commenced in 1873, and is now general agent for the Dominion and sole agent for the city. He is a native of the Province of Ontario, and came to Toronto in 1875. His father, William Russell, who came to the County of Lennox when a young man, is a pioneer, and still a resident of that county.
The city agency of the Union Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Maine, U.S., is managed by Mr. R. K. Freeman, son of Isaac Freeman, a U. E. Loyalist, who settled in the County of Halton many years ago, and ;s said to be the only Loyalist now living in that neighbourhood. The son was born in Halton, where he resided and followed agricultural pursuits till 1875, when he engaged insurance, and in 1883 accepted the management of the Union Mutual, having jurisdiction over the city and the greater part of the Province. The agency was established in the Province in 1850.
Mr. James Pringle is general city agent for the Western Fire Assurance Company, of Toronto. He has been engaged in the insurance business thirty years, twenty of which he has spent in this city. He has represented the Western for twenty-five years. He is a native of Roxburghshire, Scotland ; came to Canada in 1853, and has been President of the Caledonia Curling Club fur several years. He has always taken a great interest m the pastime of curling.
Win. A. Lee & Son are city agents for the Western Assurance Co., of Toronto, and do m connection with the same a general real estate and loaning business. They also represent the Ontario Mutual Life Insurance Co., of Waterloo, Ont. Mr. W. A. Lee is a native of Canada, of Irish parentage. He has been engaged in underwriting since 1873, previous to which tune he was a builder and contractor. He occupied the position of City Collector from 1873 to 1883, and served as Councillor for St. Patrick's Ward for one year. His father, Patrick Lee, came to this country in 1826, was employed as a surveyor for the Canada Company, and surveyed the Township of Guelph. In 1843 he settled n Toronto, where he taught school for several years and had for his pupils many who are among the city's most prominent men.
Mr. Isaac C. Gilinor represents the Caledonian Fire Insurance Company, and the Scottish Imperial. He is of Scotch descent, and was born in Quebec. He was for many years engaged the wholesale dr-goods business of the country; and m 1851 was one of the founders and heaviest shareholders of the Western Fire Insurance Company, and subsequently was for many years its President. He has been actively engaged in the business interests of the city since the year 1839.
Messrs. Medland & Jones are the city representatives of the Accident Insurance Company of North America, which has its home office in Montreal. This firm a re general agents for Western Ontario, and sole agents for the city. The agency- was established in 1872, and the firm took the same ijj 1881. They are also city agents for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, of Norwich, England. Mr. Medland is an Englishman by birth and came to Canada in 1867, since which time he has been engaged in insurance business. Mr. Jones is a native of the County of Halton, and has been connected with insurance matters since 1,874. His father. Charles ones, M.R.C.S., came to Canada in 1844.
Josiah Barnett, general accountant, auditor and insurance agent, acts specially for the Commercial Union Fire Insurance Company. He is auditor for the Toronto Paper Company, of Cornwall, and the Speight Manufacturing Company, of Markham. He is an Englishman by birth and came to this city in 1874, and has held the position of head bookkeeper for some of our leading merchants.
Real Estate Agents.
E. W. D. Builer, real estate and financial agent, valuator and arbitrator, etc. The business of this firm was established in i860, by the late Wilkin B. Butler, and since its commencement has been in active operation, enjoying its share of Toronto real estate transactions, and retaining the confidence of all doing business with it. The steady growth of the business shows the reliability of the firm in the transaction of confidential and general business, in the purchase, sale, valuation, rental and management of proper ties. The clients of this firm embrace a number of the most wealth and influential citizens and land corporations of Toronto, besides a large number residing in the United States, England and other countries. Mr. Butler also transacts a large business in investment of private and trust funds, in real estate, mortgage security, municipal debentures, etc., negotiation of loans, securing investments, management of estates, etc., etc. Intending investors in Toronto, Parkdale, Rosedale and suburban real estate will consult their interests by securing reliable valuations, giving full particulars, plans, etc., special and personal attention being devoted to this important branch. A large list of city and suburban properties for sale, exchange, etc., is constantly on hand; printed catalogues containing all details and information are furnished free of charge to investors. The offices of this firm are complete and commodious and in keeping with the steady growth and requirements of the business, and are situated on the ground-floor of G6'Kmg Street East.
James Hewlett was born in Somerset, England, on November the 13th, 1845, and settled in Toronto in 1871. He was a butcher on Yonge Street for nme years ; but lately has been in the real estate business at 24 Toronto Arcade. In September, 1878, he married Elizabeth Margaret Carter, who was born in Toronto n 1858, being the daughter of John Carter, born in Toronto about 1820.
Robert Kidney, who carries on business as a real estate agent, on the corner of Victoria and Adelaide Streets, was born in the County of Elgin, and is the eldest son of Thomas Kidney, a native of Ireland, who came to Canada in 1844. Mr. Kidney carried on a hardware business up til 1882,. when he took up his present occupation.
Wm. McBean, real estate owner and dealer, 452 Yonge Street, has followed the business of property speculator for the past twenty years, during which time he has built about 200 houses for himself and a great number of other people. His real estate business is almost entirely confined to his own property, it being only occasionally that he acts for outsiders. He is generally considered as the pioneer of the north-eastern section of the city, though he has erected buildings in the other districts.
Richard McDonell, estate agent, Queen Street and Gladstone Avenue, is a native of Toronto, being the youngest son of the late Richard McDonell, of Scotch descent. Before taking to his present business Mr. McDonell was a railroad contractor, and constructed the Lake Simcoe Junction and other roads.
Pearson Bros., real estate brokers and valuators, are among the longest established and-best known firms in the City of Toronto. They have been engaged in the purchase and sale of real estate for the past ten years.; They number among then clients a great many of the largest property-holders and incorporated companies and associations in Toronto and the Province, also owners of Canadian property residents of other countries. The Real Estate Journal, Building and Insurance Record, published by this firm, contains an extensive list of properties for sale, and a number of useful and well written articles in connection with the real estate, insurance and building businesses. Each number of the Journal contains a most complete plan of a house, with estimated cost of erection. This firm have again extended then premises, and now occupy the entire ground floor of No. 17 Adelaide Street East. In the last number of their Journal, under the head of " Real Estate," they say:—"There should be no difficulty in the. mm J of any one in determining, where the safest investment and best security can be obtained. The issue in the past has been between stocks and real estate. The present appears to be essentially a panic in stocks, and their decline has been heavy and irresistible, the reason being that for the past few years they had been forced up beyond their true commercial, value. There was no margin for a rise, as all the ' rise' had been taken out of them. Stock speculation in Canada is dull, but no duller than it ought to be. The market being so, many a hundred dollars of hard-darned money lies in the pockets of former stock speculators instead of m the speculation. The New York Herald says that speculation both in stocks and grain is knocked on the head. This follows : that the attention of investors w 1 be more and more drawn to sound, solid investment in real estate. This will undoubtedly prove to be the case not only here but elsewhere. There can never be a panic or anything akin to a panic :n real estate. There have been some severe collapses of prices where misplaced ;udgment has overreached itself, or too heavily discounted the future. In really desirable property there can be no such severe crisis as affect the financial markets, because it is not capable of being nflated with ' water' and other k.te-llying expedients which are adopted for making a large portion of our securities worth par on one day and old paper the next. People with inclination to speculate in stocks are held back by the failures of some of the largest and boldest of the stock handlers and brokers. One day a card castle, believed to represent millions tumbles over, and is found to represent nothing. A few days more and another tumble comes, and several other supposed millions vanish 1 ke the baseless fabric of a dream. The turn in the tide of investment to real estate instead of stocks is rapidly going on. This is not surprising, for if we look around among our own citizens we cannot but observe the many men who have been ruined through stock speculating ; and, on the other hand, \t is apparent that our wealthiest and most independent men are our largest property owners. Some of our depressionists prophesied that the failure of the stock market would reduce the price of real estate, but the sales for the past summer show that the public took exactly the opposite and correct view, and acted on the belief that when stocks were unsafe then was the very time to invest in real estate. Instead of real estate weakening under the pressure, the contrary has been the effect. Torontonians have Mist reason to be proud of their city and its growth; they have no cause to look forward with fear to the outlook, for in every direction residences and stores for commercial purposes are rapidly going up and are to be occupied as soon as ready. The public must fall back on real estate as the most solid thing to 'stick to.' This view will be confirmed the more carefully this is considered."
John Poucher, real estate and financial agent, No. 3 Court Street, has been largely engaged in the erection of houses, having built about sixty for himself. He retired from the buiiding business about a year ago, after having been engaged m it for twelve years, and now devotes his entire attention to the real estate business. The style of the firm is "John Poucher & Co."
Wm. P. Poulton real estate owner and house painter, has been in business since 1874., from which "me he has been a resident of Toronto-During the past two and a-half years he has erected five stores on the Kingston Road, at the corner of Poulden Street, costing over $5,000. Mr. Poulton was born in Hertfordshire, England, 1857, and came to Canada in 1874.
Thomas Shortiss, broker and real estate agent, Imperial Bank Buildings, was born at Bristol, England, and is a son of Thomas Shortiss, a native of Clonmel, Ireland, who came to Canada with his farn.ly in 1826, being induced to do so by his personal friend, Sir Peregi 'ne Maitland, the Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. Mr. Shortiss, jr., was one of a family of eleven children ; he received his education at the Grammar School and Upper Canada College, and commenced the business of life in the mercantile profession. He has engaged successfully ;n lumbering and mining, adopting his present occupation of late years. Mr. Shortiss married, in October, 1855, Miss Hester Wakefield, of Toronto, whose parents came from England.
Thomas Uttley, J.P., real estate agent and general advertising agent. He has for some two years been connected with the real estate business in this city. His native place is Summitt, near Manchester, England, and he came to Canada, settled in this city in 1881, and was appointed by the Provincial Government in 1884 a Magistrate for the County of York.
A. L. Willson, M.A., real estate agent, 37 Arcade, is the son of Lieutenant-Colonel Willson, grandson of a U. E. Loyalist, who settled in the County of York at the period of Governor Simcoe's Administration On coming from the United States his great-grandfather first settled in New Brunswick , thence he went to Niagara, removing afterwards to his location on Yonge Street, in York Township. Mr. Widson was the fourth son of Captain Willson, and succeeded his father in the offices of Township Clerk and Treasurer for said municipality, which offices they held continuous - for half a century. The Willson family are related by marriage to several of the pioneer families of Toronto.
Agents, Freight and Ssteamship, Mercantile, etc.
Bradstreet & Co.'s mercantile agency was established in New York m 1849, and is under the Presidency of Chas. F. Clark. The Toronto office was opened in 1865. Thomas C. Irving became superintendent five years ago, when he succeeded Joseph Priestman, who is now manager of the company's Canadian offices. This office has charge of all places west of Hastings County (inclusive), Ontario.
John Foy, general manager of the Niagara Navigation Company, who own a line of passenger boats plying between Toronto and Lewiston, N.Y., calling at Niagara. This line was taken from the upper lakes in 1877—Mr. Foy representing them for the past live 3-ears. He is a Director in the Home Sav ngs Loan Company, and the Toronto Printing Company. Is a native of this city, and has been connected with its business interests nearly his whole life.
Sam Osborne, general passenger and freight agent, representing the famous Cunard Steamship Line, State S.S. Line, Dominion S.S. Line, North-West Transportation Company, Ocean Steamship, Niagara Navigation Company. Business established in 1882. For 1883 they sent out seven hundred and twenty-nine passengers, and from present indications expect to double that amount this year. He is a native of London, England, came to Canada in 1869, and has for thirteen years been connected with the steamship and transportation business.
Donald Milloy, financial agent, representing the Richilieu and Ontario Navigation Company. First established as the Canadian Inland Steam Navigation Company, with a line of steamers running from Montreal to Hamilton. About 1857 this amalgamated with the above company, and is the largest inland steamship company in the Dominion of Canada, with a business of a half million dollars per year. There are some twenty-five steamers in the fleet, six of which piy between Montreal and Toronto two are leased to the Owen Sound Steamship Company, and ply between Owen Sound and Lake Superior points, and the balance do a trade on the St. Lawrence River, with Quebec as a terminal point. These were all side-wheel steamers, upper cabin steerage, built of iron and steel, and are considered one of the best equiped steamship lines in the world.
Bain, general railway and steamship agents, representing the following railway lines: "National," "Anchor," Hamburg American Lines. Owen Sound S.S. Co.; Quebec S.S. Co. ; Niagara and Canadian Pacific Railway and Steamship. The agency was originally established in i860 by Charles E. Morgan, the present firm taking possession of the same in 1883. Mr. Bain has been connected with the railway and steamship business for twenty years, and Mr. Webster has had ten years' experience as Great Western Ticket Agent, between Hamilton and Toronto.
White Star Line—Royal Mail Steamers.—Mr. T. W. Jones, general agent of this line, has filled various positions in the late Great Western Railway, and m 1875 became passenger agent of that company at Toronto. When that road became fused with the Grand Trunk he declined a similar position in London ; preferring to accept from the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company (Limited) (whose local agency he had held since 1875) their general agency for Canada. The launching of that company (usually known as the White Star Line) n 1870, came with all the effect of a startling surprise upon the commercial community of Liverpool. The manner in which it was introduced exhibited a boldness and energy which showed that a new enterpnze of the most extraordinary character had been brought upon the scene. The shares of the company for £1,000 each, were taken up by the managers of the b'ne, Messrs. Rsmsay, Imrie & Co., and their friends, including some of the best and most substantial names in Liverpool and elsewhere. It was an innovation also that the White Star Company should instead of resorting to the Clyde, upon which all the first-class American liners then existing had been built, betake themselves to Belfast, where they placed themselves in the hands of Messrs. Harland and Wolf, and instructed them to commence at once the construction of a fleet of powerful and magnificent vessels to be engaged in the trade between Liverpool and New York. The only stipulation made with the builders was that the ships were to be constructed of a strength, size and power to equal, if not to surpass, anything which had yet been seen upon the Mersey. The builders -were not limited by any contract. They were left to themselves to fulfil the general instructions given, and no one acquainted with the vessels of the White Star Line can fail to admit that Messrs. Harland and Wolff have acquitted themselves in a manner which does the highest credit to British snip-building. The first admission which was made was that the vessels, whatever else they might do, would soon become remarkable for their speed. Subsequent events proved that the builders in designin these vessels have reached a high degree of perfection in speed, and what is more important, safety. No other transatlantic vessels afloat having proved better able to cope witn the. winter storms, so frequent in the North Atlantic than the White Star Liners, as their average passages in all weathers plainly demonstrate. The innovation of placing the saloon and state-rooms amidships was introduced by this company, and as there are none below the saloon deck, or within one hundred and thirty-three feet of the stern, every stateroom is strictly first class. The system by which they are ventilated is absolutely perfect. The Atlantic mail steamers between Liverpool and New York, via. Queenstown, are the Germanic and Britannic of 5,000; and the Baltic. Republic Celtic and Adriatic, of 4,000 tons each. They are all four-masted vessels, full ship-rigged, i.e., carrying square canvass, and top-gallant sails on three masts, thus giving them an amount of sail-power fully equal to that of a first-class sailing ship, and rendering them entirely independent of machinery. The New Zealand fleet consists of Arabic, Coptic, Ionic and Doric, of 5.000 tons each, now regularly making the hitherto unprecedented time of forty-three days to the Antipodes; as against sixty days previous to their advent; while in the North Pacific, Oceanic:, Belgic, and Gaelic, are making relatively fast time between San Francisco, Yckahama and Ilong Kong. The " red burgee with a white star," also flies at the main truck of a fleet of fast and powerful clipper sailing ships from Liverpool to all parts of the world. These vessels form an admirable training school for officers and men for the ocean steamers of the company. The marvellous success of the White Star Line is one of the most remarkable instances upon record, of what pluck and business ability will do under apparently adverse circumstances.