Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Unknown Hammer Tool

In Tools and Hardware > Hammers > Show & Tell and Railroadiana > Show & Tell.
wickencrafts's loves142 of 266The black piecesYoung Boy in Pedal Car circa 1950
Love it
Like it

bobbeebobbee loves this.
wickencraftswickencrafts loves this.
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 5 years ago

    (1 item)

    Hello, I dug this handle up treasure hunting near an old fence row near where a work barn may have been 60 to 80 years ago. I have had 3 interpretations of what it is and 2 kibd of make sense.
    1- tool used to knock tires off of rims long ago. 2. Shingle Froe (I disagree with this one). 3. Tool used to knock wedges in fence posts for split rail fences. 3 seems possible because the flat side has been heavily hammered, which makes me think tire tool is wrong because I don't think you'd have to pound that hard but just swing hard. Does anyone know gor certain what this tool is? Thanks! Silvertip

    Mystery Solved
    See all
    Rare Vintage Hart The Woody 22 Ounce Framing Hammer
    Rare Vintage Hart The Woody 22 Ounc...
    Vintage Gold Blacksmith Cross Peen Cane Hammer Head Custom Order Sample Design
    Vintage Gold Blacksmith Cross Peen ...
    Vintage Heller Brothers Rounding Blacksmith Cross Pien Hammer 1 1/2" Face
    Vintage Heller Brothers Rounding Bl...
    Rare Vintage Hart The Woody 22 Ounce Framing Hammer
    Rare Vintage Hart The Woody 22 Ounc...
    See all


    1. UncleRon UncleRon, 5 years ago
      Both a froe and a post-hole axe have a sharp edge. Post hole axes generally have two blades - at 90 degrees to one another, and a froe doesn't have a pol opposite the blade because it's not swung - it's held horizontally (sharpened on the long edge) and pounded down with a heavy wooden "froe-club".
    2. Silvertip Silvertip, 5 years ago
      Thanks for the input, Uncleron. That leaves the tire beater and I don't think that's it either since it has been heavily pounded on the flat end.
    3. bobbee bobbee, 5 years ago
      That looks like a "Butcher", it's a blacksmith's tool.
    4. Silvertip Silvertip, 5 years ago
      Okay, I believe "Bobbee" has it. I found several "Hot Cut" blacksmithing tools used to chisel through hot steel. They all came to more of a point on the end, but this one may have been pounded flat. While I didn't find the word butcher anywhere, I say this one is solved and Hot Cut Chisel will bring up similar tools on a search . Thanks Bobbee!
    5. Onedtent, 5 years ago
      Chisel for cutting railroad track
    6. yorkshirelad333, 3 years ago
      close, it is a railway hammer, its for laying rails, the thin edge is for bashing the spacers in or out next to the rails

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.