Green Singer Sewing Machine Model RFJ8-8 1950s Portable

In Sewing > Singer Sewing Machines > Show & Tell.
Singer Sewing Machines380 of 657Singer Pedal Sewing MachingSinger 221K7

fattytail2fattytail2 loves this.
freonfreon loves this.
SusanellenSusanellen loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
NevadaBladesNevadaBlades loves this.
fleafinderfleafinder loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.
mikelv85mikelv85 loves this.

fortapache

This Singer RFJ8-8 is unusual as it was made in both Canada and Great Britain. Not to say that this model was built in both countries but this example is marked both Made in Canada and made in Great Britain.
    Anyway I have been wanting one of these super cool mid century modern Green Singers for a few years. I bought one a few months ago but the condition is not good and it has the wrong base.
    This one is in excellent condition although it needs a new drive belt. It has an intact cord and foot pedal. I am thinking of having this one sent out so it will be fully functional.

logo
    Singer Sewing Machines
    Vtg Cast Iron Metal Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Iron Base wood Drawers Table
    Vtg Cast Iron Metal Singer Treadle ...
    $337
    Vtg Antique Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Table Cabinet Cast Iron Wood Tiger Oak
    Vtg Antique Singer Treadle Sewing M...
    $329
    SINGER Sewing Machine Treadle Table Cast Iron Stand Legs Base by 3FTERS
    SINGER Sewing Machine Treadle Table...
    $998
    Sewing Machine Featherweight Music Box Vintage Singer Case Cabinet Accessories
    Sewing Machine Featherweight Music ...
    $28
    logo
    Vtg Cast Iron Metal Singer Treadle Sewing Machine Iron Base wood Drawers Table
    Vtg Cast Iron Metal Singer Treadle ...
    $337

Comments

1. jscott0363 jscott0363, 6 years ago
      That's a nice Singer sewing machine fortapache! I'd definitely have it repaired to make it fully functional, if it were mine.
    2. fortapache fortapache, 6 years ago
      Thank you very much Scott. There is guy relatively near that restores vintage machines. I'll replace the belt myself to keep costs down.
    3. NevadaBlades, 6 years ago
      That's at least two of us (in favor of restoring)! [;>)
    4. fortapache fortapache, 6 years ago
      Thank you very much NevadaBlades. Perhaps I should plug it in.
    5. fortapache fortapache, 6 years ago
      mikelv85
      Efesgirl
      jscott0363
      TassieDevil
      fleafinder
      brunswick
      vetraio50
      NevadaBlades
    6. fortapache fortapache, 6 years ago
      Thank you SEAN68.
    7. Susanellen, 5 years ago
      I have this machine . My father and I bought it together in 1968 in Montreal for $50. We split the cost. It's a treasure!!!
    8. fortapache fortapache, 5 years ago
      Thank you very much Susanellen. The price hasn't changed.
    9. Dee1960, 5 years ago
      I have one identical to the picture. Made in Canada. Bought it for 50.00 put a new belt on it and it works like a dream.
    10. fortapache fortapache, 5 years ago
      Thank you very much Dee1960. I paid $50 for mine too. This one still needs a new belt.
    11. fortapache fortapache, 5 years ago
      Thank you freon.
    12. Susanellen, 5 years ago
      How awesome so many of us have this Singer sewing machine. I'm surprised the price is still the same to buy ~ $50.00. A few months ago I had to find a sewing machine person (I'm now in Toronto), as a screw had come loose and the machine wouldn't cooperate. This man was amazing in fixing it ~ cost me $80 to fix and he did a major cleaning. So now it's a $130.00 machine!!! :) haha!! Only the light doesn't work on the machine so I just use my own lamp .... would have cost too much to fix this. Susan
    13. wpjunkman, 4 years ago
      Hey Ya'll...I just acquired one of these... it was so lovely I could not resist....found it at a salvation army store..unfortunatly there was/is no top half of the case...still it's absoulutely lovely and super clean although I paid twice as much as most of you have plus $7.00 in sales tax but I'm not unhappy about it because I'd never seen another like it before. I wondered if it it's a "featherweight" Model..I runs and the light works but the belt is shredded because it was stuck and imoveable when I first discovered it in the store..but I tugged and rocked the handweel back and forth till it freed up...the belt was stuck to the handwheel when I rea;lized that was all wrong with it ..I bought it..I have several other machines(crazy Huh) an Elna Super matic...a Big Ole Pfaff 332 in a very cool case that opens out into a work table and a couple of other odd machines hat are what I call.. Techno Doo Dah ...off brand names with all kinds of button and knobs etc..generally the Singers are well made and devoid of excess and useless gadgetry....but some of these odd machines are just overloaded with futuristic Doo dah buttons and stuff...
    14. howardjan1, 2 years ago
      Hi - I just purchased the sweet green RFJ8-8 for $15!!! Amazing - right?? Found it on local FB Market. The young lady I purchased it from said it belonged to her Grandmother. I couldn't have ever let it go! I scrubbed on it for a couple of hours and it's looking good! Now to replace the light bulb, needle and oil it. Can't wait to name her and take her for a spin! Do you name yours?
    15. howardjan1, 2 years ago
      Forgot to mention, I found a manual online. Now I need to search for attachments and an extra bobbin or two.
    16. keramikos, 11 months ago
      fortapache, You've probably long since figured out that the model number of this vintage Singer sewing machine is not RFJ8-8, but rather 185.

What was mystifying to me was why so many people had at least initially come to that conclusion. The Internet is full of references to "Singer RFJ8."

I finally found a nice, clear image on the Internet that answered the question for me:

Because of the temporary nature of eBay listings, I'm going to describe it here for posterity. It's a small silver-colored metal plate with black print affixed to the sewing machine head body below the balance wheel. The pertinent text on it reads:

SINGER
      CAT. NO. RFJ8-8

A dedicated label plate is much more attractive to the eye than an unexplained alpha-numeric sequence printed at the top of the stitch regulator panel on the front of the sewing machine head pillar.

If only Singer had seen fit to preface the model number with the word "Model" a lot of confusion could have been avoided. Ah well.
    17. keramikos, 11 months ago
      Oops. I just saw that fortapache has confirmed on another post that these are the same machine (a Singer model 185K, serial number ER155839, made in 1960), so I'm going to link the sibling posts here for future reference:

18. fortapache fortapache, 11 months ago
      Yes keramikos they are the same. I do have another of these I may have posted.
    19. keramikos, 11 months ago
      fortapache, Yeah, I saw that you had another model 185 with a wooden base. :-)

The one with the metal plate indicating the catalog number RFJ8-8 that I linked had 185J in the text description, so that one at the very least would have had its stitch regulator panel made at the St. John's factory. };-)

Maybe some of the RFJ8-8 labeled machines were hybrids, with some parts made in the UK, and some in Canada.

Tis a puzzlement.
    20. keramikos, 11 months ago
      Hmmm:

*snip*

The label shown here [THE SINGER COMPANY MADE IN CANADA WITH GREAT BRITAIN AND CANADIAN COMPONENTS] was found on a machine with a "328K" model number plate. Apparently Singer consolidated parts from Scotland and Canada to complete the 328 model production run.

Another joker in the deck is the 411G shown at right. It was a bit of a puzzle because the "G" indicates Germany, but the serial number points to Canada. After some research it appears that the head was cast (and stamped with serial number) in Canada, then the machine was assembled in West Germany as reflected in the model number suffix.

*snip*