Is this a take off on a Keane painting ?

In Fine Art > Paintings > Show & Tell.
Paintings272 of 1479Vermont oil paintingAn original oil painting I picked up at a rural junk store.

melaniejmelaniej loves this.
TassieDevilTassieDevil loves this.
auraaura loves this.

Posted 10 months ago

Katestlouis

Hi,

Do you think this is done in the style of a Keane painting ? Do you think the artist is valid in her/his own right ?

Signature looks like Cotello.

Thank You.

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 10 months ago
    I do not see this as a take off of Keane work . It looks like a artist that did a portrait painting of a real girl . Very nice
  2. Katestlouis, 10 months ago
    Hi,

Thank You. She has the "big eyes" kind of like Keane paintings did. Genres are often copied & thought maybe someone did their version around that time.
  3. Manikin Manikin, 10 months ago
    She appears to be a child that has eyes proportional to her face , Remember the size of our eyes at birth stay the same all our life . So little children always tend to look like they have large eyes . I do believe the artist who did a fantastic job was doing a portrait of a real child . She has no indication if a Keane . But I do love it . All her features seem to be a bit exaggerated nose mouth and eyes but all in same proportion to me .
  4. mp.kunst mp.kunst, 10 months ago
    We in Holland call this a Brandsma painting because Jeanne Brandsma was one of the first to paint in this style.
    Her paintings are very populair but you can still buy them for pretty low prices. Because they were always populair het style is copied a lot. This could be one of the copy cats.
  5. mp.kunst mp.kunst, 10 months ago
    BTW this painting is signed Corelli.
  6. mp.kunst mp.kunst, 10 months ago
    The forum is in Dutch but this is almost the same painting.

7. Katestlouis, 10 months ago
    Hello,

Thank you for all the education. I looked up Jeanne Brandsma's works. Her paintings had more depth than mine. Thanks for correcting the spelling of the artist. Yes, Keane's paintings were not proportional, I think it is the melancholy that I see. Jeanne Brandsma's husband was killed during WWII. She supported her children with her paintings. My expression would be melancholy if I lived through that too. Thank You.