Share your favorites on Show & Tell

what the heck is this itty bitty tool for??

In Tools and Hardware > Show & Tell.
Tools and Hardware971 of 9815Stanley yard stick No. 80more doorknobs and a caster
Love it
Like it

Dwilder2Dwilder2 loves this.
WatchsearcherWatchsearcher loves this.
jscott0363jscott0363 loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
dav2no1dav2no1 loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
See 4 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 3 years ago

    (1778 items)

    I found this little tool on the ground outside a gas station where it probably fell out of somebody else's pocket. (yes, I pick up pennies from the ground, too...) It has a knurled aluminum handle with a tiny allen/hex shaped steel driver bit fixed into it.

    This thing is driving me kinda nuts ever since, I just *know* I've seen something like it used somewhere before for something, but cannot for the life of me remember when, where, or what...? <headdesk>

    Frankly, the thing also kinda intrigues me because it looks like something that's entirely more convenient than conventional allen wrenches for some particular task...makes me kinda wish I had a set of them in larger more common sizes, I bet I'd use 'em a lot?!

    If somebody really does recognize this and know what it is intended for, PLEASE SPEAK UP and help me otherwise toss it in the toolbox to forget about, until I might to really need it for something as well...? <lol>

    Tools and Hardware
    See all
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    One Pair of RESTORED Antique Glass Crystal Door Knobs- Many Available!
    One Pair of RESTORED Antique Glass ...
    28" Single Bit Boys / Hudson Bay / ...
    9pcs Keys BIG Large Antique Vintage old Brass Skeleton Lot for DIY Making Lock
    9pcs Keys BIG Large Antique Vintage...
    17" Valley Pro AMERICAN HICKORY Woo...
    See all


    1. Gillian, 3 years ago
      Kinda Maybe looks like an air pressure guage with some bits missing, or a thingy that blows a air that's under high air pressure. Great explanation eh?
    2. Torque Torque, 3 years ago
      This is an Allen-head driver. Have you tried to unscrew the knurled portion near the top? Some of these have changeable bits. Others are fixed and come in sets of different sizes.
    3. Watchsearcher Watchsearcher, 3 years ago
      It’s odd that I just used a similar tool to tighten loose screws on some patio chairs this morning. My standard size Allen wrenches were the wrong sizes so I resorted to my Husky 36-Piece Precision Screwdriver was a long shot because I thought they would be too small, but one was the perfect fit!!
      You little tool is probably one such as mine. Is the bit removable?
    4. T411, 3 years ago
      This tool is called a Hinge Alignment Punch. It’s used to align or center spot locations for a screw holes for door hinges and catch plates. Some of them are spring loaded and others are tapped with a hammer.
    5. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 3 years ago
      Actually the ones for hinges are self centering punches. I have several of both types in my door kit. I have never seen one with a hex head on the punch. I have seen watch makers staking punches with a hex head but never a self centering punch.
    6. AnythingObscure AnythingObscure, 3 years ago
      THANKS EVERYBODY for your suggestions and input!!! For the moment I'm feeling Watchsearcher & Torque's thoughts that it is just one of a set of 'precision' small-sized allen wrenches -- I'm gonna look closer the next time I get to HarborFreight and see what I find there. This item is a solid piece without holes for air passage or moving parts/point for a centering punch (I've seen and have those) so doubt those suggestions, with appreciation.
      After thinking about it more myself, I keep coming back to the idea that I saw some HVAC or alarm guy someplace using a similar item on a thermostat or sensor or something -- which might have made me think it was some 'specialty' thing when it really isn't at all...??

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.