Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Military Buckle? WWII?

In Accessories > Belt Buckles > Show & Tell.
Belt Buckles179 of 231Art Deco Celluloid Buckle - WingsArtistic buckle
Love it
Like it

Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.

Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

Posted 5 years ago


(5 items)

Would anyone have a clue what this would be? I picked this up at a yard sale over the weekend. The person I got it from said said it was in his father's drawer and he served in WWII. It measures approximately 2" wide by 1 1/2" tall.

Thanks for any info,

Unsolved Mystery

Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.


  1. Chrisnp Chrisnp, 5 years ago
    I'm fairly certain it's not military. You might try posting it in costume jewelry.
  2. Carlsons_C.R.A.P Carlsons_C.R.A.P, 5 years ago
    Thanks for the input. I'm stumped here. Definitely not jewelry. I am pretty certain it is a buckle or something that would have went on a uniform somehow.
  3. scottvez scottvez, 5 years ago
    Agree not military-- may want to try another category.

    Are there any markings on it?

  4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 5 years ago
    You could try running it through Google images. I would think the design on it might pop up. Uniforms covers a broad range. High school band uniform to a fraternal group etc.
  5. oldlincolnian oldlincolnian, 5 years ago
    My "intellectual guess" would be that it has soemthing to do with a Rabbi. Resembles a menorah and the "ribbons" they wear....I think its related to the Jewish faith....
  6. designingeye, 5 years ago
    Not sure I even think it's a buckle. At 2x1.5", it seems somewhat small. The fabric it was formally sewn to doesn't appear very "belt-like" in weight and if your image is rotated a quarter turn, the design loses its symmetry. I'm seeing an art deco motif and think it might have been a decorative element from a woman's garment
    [they were sewn on and supported by a flap detail] or possibly as a handbag closure. [positioned as your photo is]
  7. flowerrose, 5 years ago
    I wonder if it is part of a uniform - which goes on the top of the sleeve/shoulder area - which loops the fabric in underneath. A lapel? is that the right name? Sits on the shoulder area.
  8. AmberRose AmberRose, 5 years ago
    My two cents: ladies buckle for a dress. Kind of a wrap and through. Soft cloth belt I see art deco as well.
    No idea if this is right, fun to speculate.
  9. designingeye, 5 years ago
    @flowerrose – you described an epaulette, which is an ornamental shoulder piece common on military uniforms and regular clothing as well. Lapels are the parts on each side of a jacket or coat that fold back onto the sides of the neck opening. Often, women might add a decorative pin on a lapel... men, a flower for a prom or other special occasion.
  10. flowerrose, 5 years ago
    Thank you designingeye - I have never heard that word before "epaulette" - sounds french! This is a great site - I am learning something new everyday!
  11. oldlincolnian oldlincolnian, 5 years ago
    very good! The word "epaul" is French for shoulder and an epaulette is the tab of fabric uniforms often have across the top of the shoulder, on which badges are attached.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.