Share your favorites on Show & Tell

Czech Lamp with Black Paint Overlay

In Art Glass > Show & Tell and Lamps > Lamp Shades > Show & Tell.
Art Glass18313 of 22016Glass Biscuit Jar with Overlay PaintGunnar Nylund anvil shaped candlesticks/holders for Strombergshyttan 1952-54.
Love it
Like it

MALKEYMALKEY loves this.
VintagefranVintagefran loves this.
catteanncatteann loves this.
AimathenaAimathena loves this.
Slave-to-glassSlave-to-glass loves this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.
vetraio50vetraio50 loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
GreatsnowyowlGreatsnowyowl loves this.
beyemveybeyemvey loves this.
See 8 more
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 9 years ago

    (38 items)

    Greetings: I've owned this lamp for about 8 years. The predominant colors are blue and red. The dimensions are 16" across and 7" tall. The shade has applied/smooth black paint cascading down in the shape of leaves. It appears that the paint was applied and then carved away as the remaining leaf forms are very sharp. I cannot locate a signature. ??? Regards.

    Unsolved Mystery

    Help us close this case. Add your knowledge below.

    Art Glass
    See all
    Vtg Lundberg Studio Art Glass Night Sky Moon Stars Waves Paperweight
    Vtg Lundberg Studio Art Glass Night...
    Vtg Art Glass Italy Murano Antonio Da Ros Cenedese Blue Sommerso Orb Ashtray
    Vtg Art Glass Italy Murano Antonio ...
    Orient & Flume VINTAGE BRIAN HALEY Floral Signed Art Glass Lampwork Paperweight
    Orient & Flume VINTAGE BRIAN HALEY ...
    6 Antique Early 20thC Steuben Etched Art Glass Crystal 8in Plates Carder Era, NR
    6 Antique Early 20thC Steuben Etche...
    Vtg Lundberg Studio Art Glass Night Sky Moon Stars Waves Paperweight
    Vtg Lundberg Studio Art Glass Night...
    See all


    1. twentiethc, 9 years ago
      Is it possible the paint is a thin layer of glass? lt looks like it from the photos, and that would explain the sharp edges. If so, it's a type of cameo glass (multiple layers of glass on top of eachother where one layer is removes to reveal the laer beneath. Still do not know who makes it, but the cameo technique would add a level of complexity above simple paint.
    2. Nootch Nootch, 9 years ago
      Hi twentiethc: It's possible. Thanks for the comment. Regards.
    3. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 9 years ago
      I'd need to see much better close up pics of the detail but I think maybe you're both right. my suspicion is that the mottled layer is a thin layer on the "underside" and there is a heavy application of clear glass over that. the detail was acid cut into the upper layer of glass and that detail enameled over to look like Cameo glass.

      I am winging it without better detail of the glass but the green does have a pebbly type look that you don't normally see in cameo unless there has been color applied.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.