Christmas catalogs have been a tradition almost as long as retailers have put out catalogs. Sears introduced its first Christmas edition in 1933, and soon became a huge name in Christmas gifts and accessories. Christmas catalogs often ran into the hundreds of pages, with sections appealing to each family member.
Companies like Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Spiegel all released Christmas catalogs. People who grew up with these books have now begun to collect them, often rediscovering the gifts they asked for as kids.
Best of the Web (“Hall of Fame”)
Papa Teds Place
Bohemian Christmas Decorations
American Package Museum
Old Soviet Christmas Cards
Found in Moms Basement
Other Great Reference Sites
- Wisconsin Historical Society: Aluminum Christmas Trees
- Duke Library: Emergence of Advertising in America
- Magic of Nutcrackers Steinbach Collection
- Oxford Library: John Johnson Collection Exhibition
- Wikipedia: Christmas Trees
- Library of Congress: Broadsides and Ephemera
- Duke Library: Presidential Campaign Memorabilia