Tintype Cowboys/Outlaws Posing With Pistols Drawn

In Photographs > Tintypes > Show & Tell.
Tintypes59 of 128Tintype photoTintypes

PoopPoop loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
HunterHunter loves this.
crabbykinscrabbykins loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
scottvezscottvez loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
rniedermanrniederman loves this.

whitman75

I have this really unique quarter plate Tintype that has a pair of younger man posing with their Pistols. My guess from 1875-1900. You don't find many with people flaunting their weapons like this. Are they cowboys? Outlaws? Or a couple of fellows that wanna look cool. If you have any information please share and if u recognize either as some type of bandit let me know.

Comments

1. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Based on the image format and clothing, I think your dating is pretty much on. I'd say 1880s- 90s.

The clothing doesn't look like "cowboy" type clothing and without provenance on the "who" I wouldn't call them outlaws either.

These could be loaned weapons or their own. It is not that uncommon for folks to use studio prop weapons to give themselves a menacing look.

I'd simply call it an image of "two men with pistols".

Nice find!

scott
  2. whitman75 whitman75, 2 years ago
    Thanks Scott I just labeled it that way because it sounds cooler. I was just made aware that generally you didn't have many people actually posing this way for photos back then. They also appear to have some kind of money based on their nice dress.
  3. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    You'd be suprised with the number of guns in late 19th century tintypes.

I collect and deal in antique photography and see it on a regular basis. It certainly adds interest and value (esp. if an unusual weapon) and has its field of collectors.

scott
  4. whitman75 whitman75, 2 years ago
    I agree the smaller guy looks like he is dressed 30 years to soon looks like he should have been part of the Mob. Im not sure what he has under his arms but I find it a really cool photo.
  5. musikchoo musikchoo, 2 years ago
    It looks tome like it may be part of the other guys Armsleeve to make the little guys coat fit better (:-D). Anyway, it's the same Color.
  6. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
    They look like two guys out on the town.
    Did they make more then one photograph? You always see these with two folk. Did they each get one?
  7. whitman75 whitman75, 2 years ago
    Tintypes are one of a kind photos no negatives or copies so they are all truly unique.
  8. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Not entirely correct. Multiple lens cameras allowed for multiple copies at a single sitting. Rob has numerous examples of actual images (cut and uncut) and the cameras that were used to create:

scott