Posted 8 years ago
Septimus and Clara Miller visited Paris sometime in early 1907. This postcard shows the Panthéon in the background at the end of Rue Soufflot taken from a position just at the edge of the Jardin du Luxembourg. This is in the heart of the Quartier Latin. When the Millers were there in 1907 the square in the foreground was called 'Place Saint-Michel' - these days it is called 'Place Edmond-Rostand'. The famous Boulevard Saint-Michel runs left to right.
The card shows the “Fontaine du bassin Soufflot” designed by the architect Gabriel Davioud en 1862 for at the edge of the 5th & 6th arrondissments. In the centre of the fountain is a bronze statue of Triton and a Nereid by Gustave Adolphe Désiré Crauk. The plaster maquette for this sculpture was exhibited at the Exposition universelle of 1878.
What a fabulous scene of Paris in the Belle Époque!