Share your favorites on Show & Tell

unknown edge tool

In Tools and Hardware > Fixed Blade Knives > Show & Tell.
Fixed Blade Knives634 of 774sword and sheath pinReclining lion Bowie knife
Love it
Like it

jacko66jacko66 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
Add to collection

    Please create an account, or Log in here

    If you don't have an account, create one here.

    Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate

    Posted 8 years ago

    (4 items)

    I bought this from a tool dealer who did not know what it was. It is 9" long. Looks like you could place the blade (about 3" wide) on something and strike it, but there is no sign of having been struck.

    It fits a man's hand comfortably, with the hook wrapping around the pinky finger. But holding it in this fashion would make it really awkward to use the spike blade on the end.

    It is marked VOO... with the tail of an arrow running through the center of the letters. This is not the complete name, the fourth letter and beyond are rusted/sanded off. Also says made in USA. Overall thickness is 1/8" to 5/32", and the spike opposite the hook flares out to about 1/4" wide.

    I have no clue what this is, do you?

    Mystery Solved
    Fixed Blade Knives
    See all
    Vintage Marbles
    Vintage Marbles "Dall Deweese" Stag...
    Vintage R.H. Ruana Hunting Knife Bonner Montana M Stamp Original Stone & Sheath
    Vintage R.H. Ruana Hunting Knife Bo...
    Vintage Buck 184 Buckmaster Pre-Patent Date Survival Knife/Sheath
    Vintage Buck 184 Buckmaster Pre-Pat...
    See all


    1. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 8 years ago
      The company name is Voos.

      T A
    2. BeautifulOrUseful, 8 years ago
      Thanks T A. That's a start. There is a knife maker, Emil Voos, but no logo with an arrow through it.
    3. jacko66, 8 years ago
      i can see what u mean about the razor shape but does the hook on a straight razor usually going in opposite direction to blade for ease of opening and control of blade when shaving
      i was thinking it might be a stock or cloggers knife at first but like the razor the hook is going in opposite direction than normally on these type of tools
      then i was looking at something completely different and came across a farriers pick and scraper like blade for horses hoofs
      im no expert on anything to do with horses but just thought id throw the idea out to others for their opinion
    4. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 8 years ago
      I was thinking very gory back on the farm. No comment here for now.
    5. BeautifulOrUseful, 8 years ago
      Ripley206: Yes it is definitely Ernest Voos. I found the same reference that dates the compny to 2009. You've sent me on the right path. thanks!
    6. BeautifulOrUseful, 8 years ago
      Jacko66: Like Ripley206 said close...but not quite. I think that my piece could serve that purpose, but I don't know that a knife company which makes more precision type tools would make something that would would function just as well if it were more crudely made. Thanks.
    7. Sunnybrook Sunnybrook, 8 years ago
      If it is not a hoof pick, it should be! It would be a very good one.
    8. jacko66, 8 years ago
      I agree with Ripely206 it may have been modified for special purpose as many other tools in the past for a certain task the owner wanted to do at time
    9. onceagain, 8 years ago
      not razor-related, or ferried related, and definitely not modified.
      this is as it comes from the factory.
      it's a horticulturalists grafting knife or grafting froe.
      at specialized tool for sure, and not one that would be hanging in every barn or workshop alongside billions of draw knives and chamfer knives, but still an important one.
    10. jacko66, 8 years ago
      well done great to know what it is never would have thought of that
    11. BeautifulOrUseful, 8 years ago
      onceagain wins the prize! it is in fact a grating tool. thank you.
    12. BeautifulOrUseful, 8 years ago
      A little more research revealed that the tool is used for "cleft grafting". Texas A&M (my alma mater '86) has a nice pictorial on how the tool is used:
    13. Collectoroftools, 8 years ago
      It is a grafting froe. It is used to graft fruit trees. Google pics of grafting froes to other types. Some froes are valuable depending on maker, some are not.

    Want to post a comment?

    Create an account or login in order to post a comment.