Chinese Dynasty Chess Set

In Games > Chess Sets > Show & Tell and Asian > Chinese Antiques > Show & Tell.
Chess Sets44 of 153Chess Set, Ivory??Bizarre theme vintage chess set - What are these characters?

EfesgirlEfesgirl loves this.
trgrubaughtrgrubaugh loves this.
AnneLandersAnneLanders loves this.
kyratangokyratango loves this.
fortapachefortapache loves this.
MeliGMeliG loves this.
racer4fourracer4four loves this.

DerBayz

I have this set from 1953 when my father was stationed over seas. He played in a tournament there with Grand Master Stuart Wagman. I am trying to find out more of about this set. It could be one of a kind and I will never find one similar, but I would love some help identifying it if anyone can help.

logo
    Chess Sets
    Terracotta Army Antique Chess Set Board BOX Carved Unique Vintage Collectible
    Terracotta Army Antique Chess Set B...
    $65
    Antique Chess Set Board Rosewood, Mahogany C1930 2 inch Squares Jaques TYPE
    Antique Chess Set Board Rosewood, M...
    $67
    Folding Chess Antique Carved Warrior Unique Gift Collectible Set Board Vintage
    Folding Chess Antique Carved Warrio...
    $35
    HUGE ANTIQUE NORTHERN UPRIGHT CHESS SET CALVERT, LUND,OR JAQUES 5.25 INCH KINGS
    HUGE ANTIQUE NORTHERN UPRIGHT CHESS...
    $225
    logo
    Terracotta Army Antique Chess Set Board BOX Carved Unique Vintage Collectible
    Terracotta Army Antique Chess Set B...
    $65

Comments

1. MeliG MeliG, 4 years ago
      Are the characters made of bone or ivory? Very nice set.
    2. MeliG MeliG, 4 years ago
      Do you have a board as well that came with it?
    3. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      I believe they are made of bone. They come in a silk cover box and no board. I was told they are a competition set.
    4. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      They may bee ivory! A well focused close-up of the under base of one piece will help to say :-)

I found nothing about ADA LUM Kowloon, except for fabric dolls, lol!

Google images for Chinese ivory vintage chess set to try finding same characters.

5. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      I uploaded a close up of the bottom. I was looking for the basket weave pattern on the bottom but did not see it. Please take a look.
    6. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      Cross hatch lines aren't showing on all parts of ivory pieces ! I'm still thinking Ivory.
      From your new pic, I can't see no evidence for beeing bone nor resin :-)
      See this link and scroll down to the pics for Id. clues:
    7. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      What about Alabaster?
    8. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      No, details in carving are too crisp!
    9. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      I am going to post a second set, that I believe to be Ivory. Lets see if my identification is good.
    10. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      OK, so my identification of Ivory is good. These pieces are lighter and don't feel right. Just being honest. Stone maybe?
    11. kyratango kyratango, 4 years ago
      Sure it is not stone, there is different qualities of ivory, some heavy, some light, elephant, hippo.... Can't help more, you have it in hand to test :-)
    12. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      Thank you, I appreciate the help.
    13. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 4 years ago
      142 Boundary Street, Kowloom, is now apartments. Ho Man Tin/King's Park.

Ada Lum had a shop on Boundary Street:

" Eleanor Cowles Gellhorn writes "Ada Lum has an entrancing collection at her shop at 142 Boundary Road, ... miles out but worth the taxi fare there. She carries exquisite linen, cotton, ...." (Page 101, 1965) Don't you wish her shop was still there."
    14. Efesgirl Efesgirl, 4 years ago
      Der Bayez, my link is probably the one kyra read, referring to linens. There is more info posted in the blog link, so maybe something of some use to you. I agree with kyra that this set is ivory. I have a large carved bone necklace posted here. You can compare the differences.
    15. DerBayz DerBayz, 4 years ago
      Thank you. I will check out the post and yes I see the difference in your necklace.